chapter fifteen

The candles seemed to know that Gunther was about to tell a story and dimmed on their own. CeCe watched as Gunther sat down on his pillow. While he was gathering his thoughts, he offered to place her empty cup in the sink. She allowed him to do that because she knew how hard it must have been for him to experience what had happened in the Old Country.

Gunther clasped his hands yet again, placing them under his chin. CeCe hadn't ever seen him look like this. He was always happy, joyful, and content with mocking other people with Tinka. He was hardly ever sad. The only time he was truly sad was when his mailman died. She didn't know why he had chosen her to go to the funeral with him, but she was glad she went. Even though she acted like she didn't have fun, but she did, though it was a little weird. 

"My parents never told me how bad the Old Country was," Gunther softly said, his eyes trained downward. "All Tinka and I knew was that we escaped because a war was brewing. We never told you guys that because we were not supposed to. The reason why I had to go back to the Old Country was because of this brewing war."

"Why didn't Tinka go back with you?" CeCe asked, frowning. "It would have made life easier for me and Rocky."

"She had to stay here so that the bad people in the Old Country did not suspect that I was coming back." He shrugged, his eyes flickering up to CeCe. She gave him a small smile, but he looked back down. "It was worse than what I thought. I grew up fast, CeCe. I changed."

"I could tell." CeCe reached forward and patted his hand. Before she could draw her hand back, he grabbed ahold of it. His grip was tight, but he didn't look up at her again. "You might not like the jacket I bought for you."

"You bought me a jacket?"

"As a Christmas present," CeCe said, laughing. "I heard that you were coming home for Christmas, so I decided to buy you a present."

"Thank you," he said, looking up at CeCe. He held her gaze, softly rubbing her hand with his thumb. Her heart sped up, thumping against her ribcage. She was sure that he could hear her heart, but he didn't seem to notice. "The world I stepped into was not one that I had left. So many people were sick and tired and hurt, but there was nothing I could do about it. I tried helping them, CeCe, I tried so hard. But nothing I did worked."

"I am so sorry," she said, squeezing his hand. "I believe that you tried your hardest, but sometimes there's nothing for you to do in something that big."

"But that was my country." Gunther ripped his hand away from hers, standing up. He paced back and forth in his spot, his shoulders dropping low. "It was my responsibility to take care of it, and I failed."

"Was it your responsibility, though?" CeCe cocked her head to the side, leaning back on her hands. Her eyes traced his movement. "You were just a kid, Gunther. What else could you have done? Nothing."

"Death eventually came for the royal family," he continued on, ignoring what CeCe had said. "It was a good thing, really. They were the reason why the Old Country was going downhill so fast. Even if they were my mother's family, I did not care that they died." CeCe's eyes widened when she remembered the story about his mother and her people. "I thought that when they died, everything would go back to normal. It really did not, but it is better than what was going on before."

"Is that why you left?"

"Yes." Gunther stopped walking and faced CeCe, his face dark. "I came back earlier than what Rocky told me to and I have been staying in a hotel room. I finally checked out today when I knew I had to be at your apartment before heading to my sister."

"But you can't go to see Tinka yet," CeCe said, laughing, "because we're snowed in."

"Correct." He slowly sat back down, folding his long legs underneath him. "That is my story, CeCe. That is where I have been these past years and is a place where I will never be going back. I will get my citizenship here and stay here for the rest of my life."

"That's good," she said, giving him a smile. The firelight from the candles flickered across his face, showing the dark circles under his eyes. "I'm glad that you're going to stay here."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." CeCe nodded, her messy bun flopping slightly. She brushed her baby hairs away from her eyes and she could feel her cheeks redden. "It's just . . . I kinda missed you."

"I missed you, too," Gunther said, finally smiling. "I missed Rocky, Ty, Deuce, and Dina as well. I heard that Deuce and Dina moved in together."

"You heard that but didn't know that your own sister was dating Ty?" CeCe burst out laughing, shaking her head. Gunther's smile widened and soon enough, he was laughing as well. It was refreshing to hear him laugh since he was just upset. "That's good, Gunther."

"It is, is it not?" he said, the laughter still in his voice. "Thank you for listening to me. I needed to get this off of my chest."

"You're welcome. You know, Rocky told me once that I hardly ever listened to anyone while they spoke. I was a lot of things that wasn't good, but I feel like I have come a long way from my selfish past."

"You were not the only one selfish," Gunther said, chuckling. "I was selfish too. So was Rocky."

"You think so?" CeCe asked slowly. Gunther nodded, making her happy. "I always thought I was the reason why bad things happened, you know? I pushed Rocky to do things she didn't want to do, I was rude, I was so many things."

"You used to be so . . ."

"So what, Gunther?" CeCe asked, a smile playing on her face. She thought that he would be joking, but the thing that came out of his mouth surprised her.

"So selfish."

"I thought that you said that we were all selfish," she said, her smile dropping off of her face. She was hurt that he would say that. "I used to be a lot of things other than that."

"Like what?" He didn't seem like he was joking now, which was weird. 

"A dancer, Rocky's best friend," she said, looking down at her hands. She picked at her chipped nail polish, suddenly nervous. "I don't know what else, but I know I was more than selfish."

"I know that, CeCe," Gunther said slowly. "I wanted you to know that you were more than a selfish girl back in high school. I want you to see the person that you obviously do not see."

"What are you talking about?"

"You are not happy with yourself," he said simply. "Did you not know that?"

"I . . .," CeCe trailed off, frowning. "I do know that, I think."

"Why? Why do you hate yourself?"

"I don't know." CeCe shrugged, wrapping the blanket tighter around her shoulders. She plucked a fuzz off of the blanket, flicking it to the side. "People have always told me about the bad things that I do. It weighs heavy on me, you know? These past couple of years I have tried to change for the better."

"I understand," he said, nodding. Gunther stared at CeCe and a mischievous look crossed his face. "Do you happen to have snow pants?"

"Yeah, why?"

"What if I said I wanted to play outside in the snow? I know that the power is out, so we would be cold when we come back, but it will be fun." He grinned, making CeCe frown. "Come on, CeCe! This is apart of our sleepover!"

"Okay," she said reluctantly. "Do you have snow pants?"

"Of course!" Gunther hopped up, laughing. "Let us get ready and go!"

"Wait!" CeCe said, throwing her hands out. "I want to give you my gift before we go outside. It'll keep you warm." She jumped up, dropping the blanket to the ground. She ran to her room and grabbed the sparkly silver jacket from her closet. She skidded to a stop in front of Gunther, holding it out. "Put it on."

"Okay," he said, grabbing the jacket. His hand brushed hers, so she brought her hand back to her side quickly. He slid the jacket on, zipping it up to his chin. "It fits perfectly."

"Good," she said, smiling at him. It was nice seeing him in sparkles again. "Now, let's get ready and go play outside!"