chapter twenty three

CeCe was finally alone in her apartment. Gunther went out with Ty and Deuce for a few hours and her mother had to go back to the police station, too. Flynn was still at Henry's house, but he would be coming home later that night. Since Christmas was done and gone, he was coming back home to celebrate the New Years with his family. 

CeCe was surprised to find herself missing her little brother. If she were the same person from high school, she would have been celebrating his absence. She had changed, though. Going from spending every single day with her best friends to where she barely saw anyone she knew, let alone loved, changed her. It made her realize what was truly special in life. Money and clothes and fame weren't that important to her anymore. Yes, she still had dreams of being a popstar, but she wouldn't want to do it without Gunther or Rocky or even Flynn. But now she ruined everything.

She collapsed onto the couch with a blanket wrapped around her. Her plans for today were watching movies until she fell asleep again. However, those dreams were dashed when there was a knock on the door. 

A burst of hope spread through CeCe's chest. She jumped up from the couch, discarding the blanket. Running over to the door, she threw it open, the largest smile on her face. "Rocky!" she said happily. The name fell across the air when she realized it wasn't Rocky at the door. It was Tinka. "Oh! Tinka! Hey!" CeCe said awkwardly. She opened the door wider and said, "Do you want to come in?"

"Why else would I be standing here?" Tinka asked. She closed her eyes and sucked in a breath. When she opened her eyes again, she looked calmer. "Yes, I would like to come in. Is that okay with you?"

"Of course." CeCe stepped over to the side, and Tinka walked into her apartment. "Gunther isn't here, if you were wondering. He's out with Ty and Deuce -"

"I know," Tinka said with a curt nod. "Gunther and Ty both told me earlier."

"Right."

CeCe walked over to the couch and sat down. Tinka did the same, but she sat on the opposite side, near the other armrest. She rested her pink purse in her lap and looked at CeCe. 

"I want to talk," Tinka said suddenly. 

"I assumed so." CeCe braced herself for the onslaught of questions. She knew they would be hard to answer, but she was ready to answer them all. If it meant getting her friends back, she would do anything, even if she was terrified. "Go ahead, ask whatever you want. I'm ready."

"I only have one question," Tinka said with a nod. "When did you gain feelings for my brother?"

CeCe was surprised. She thought that Tinka would ask her about why she lied to her and Rocky, but she didn't. Instead, she asked about her brother. "I honestly don't know," CeCe said to Tinka. "I hadn't even thought about him until he showed up here. After I saw him again, I didn't want him here, but I wouldn't let him freeze out there. He had to stay. And the longer he stayed, the more I . . . I knew he has always been the one I wanted."

Tinka nodded. Her face was a mask, so CeCe wasn't sure what was going on in her mind. She hoped it was good. If Tinka didn't like her anymore, she was fine with that. However, if CeCe did start dating Gunther, that would probably ruin their relationship because this was his sister. She didn't want to make him choose between the two of them just because Tinka gave up on her.

"Gunther has not been this happy in such a long time," Tinka finally said. "Going back to the Old Country changed him. It made him depressed and closed off. But whenever you are around, he is so happy. Happier than I could make him. Happier than anyone else could make him."

"I don't purposefully make him happy," CeCe said with a shrug. "He had to find happiness himself. That's why he can't help me with my anxiety and insecurities because I have to do it for myself. No one else can change me. Only I can change myself."