chapter nineteen

CeCe stood in front of her mother, frozen in place. She didn't know what to say to Tinka and Rocky . . . especially Rocky. The three of them were staring at her. So far, Tinka hadn't seen her brother on the couch behind CeCe, which was a good thing. She wasn't sure what Tinka would do if she found out that they fell asleep together. 

Unfortunately for CeCe, Gunther stirred on the couch and sat up. He let out a strangled grunt before hopping up right next to her. Tinka gasped, making CeCe's cheeks reddened. "Gunther! What are you doing with her?" Tinka said loudly, her tone disgusted. "Were you two . . . sleeping together?"

"Not in the way you are thinking," Gunther quickly said. CeCe couldn't even look at her friends or mother. Instead, she looked up at Gunther. His cheeks were red as well, but he didn't look angry or upset. No, he looked happy. "We were just sleeping. And you knew that I would be here, so why are you so angry?"

"Wait, what?" CeCe asked, frowning. "Tinka knew you would be here?" She looked over at Tinka and Rocky to see them staring away from her. "Rocky, what's going on?"

"I kind of lied to you about who Gunther was going to see," Rocky said, grimacing. "He told me that he wanted to see you. He had already visited with Tinka and me. I told you that he was coming in from the Old Country to see Tinka because I couldn't tell you the truth!"

"Why did you want to see me?" CeCe asked, rounding on Gunther. Hitting his arm, she said, "Did you have Tinka and Rocky aid you in winning me over?"

"Yeah." His voice was quiet but she still heard him say that. "But -"

"No!" CeCe yelled. Her throat was raw and she was hurt. "No, I don't want to hear it, Gunther. If you couldn't come here on your own, what was the point of coming at all?"

"I was nervous!" Gunther grabbed CeCe's arm before she could storm away. Her heart was thudding in her chest when he stared down at her, his eyes soft and gorgeous. "Listen to me, CeCe. They knew how much I liked you so they helped me."

"Was Mom in on it as well?" CeCe asked, hoping that her voice wasn't shaking. Gunther shook his head, so she said, "Okay. Whatever." She took a step away from Gunther, turning toward her friends. "You guys can go set your stuff down in my room."

"Can I talk to you later?" Rocky asked as Tinka walked toward CeCe's room. "We need to discuss things."

"Sure," CeCe said, giving Rocky a small smile. Before she walked away, CeCe threw herself into her arms. She buried her head in Rocky's neck, saying, "I've missed you so much."

Rocky giggled, saying, "I missed you too."

"Okay, you can go to my room now." CeCe stepped away from Rocky, giving her a grin. "I have so much to tell you."

"I'm sure." Rocky grabbed her suitcase and walked away. 

"Cecelia," Georgia said, making CeCe freeze in her steps. She sounded mad and disappointed, and CeCe sure did not want to turn around. "We need to talk."

"Yeah," CeCe said, slowly spinning around. Gunther was still standing in front of the couch, an awkward look on his face. "But do we have to talk now? My friends are here and I want to spend time with them."

"Yes, we need to talk now," Georgia said, pointing over her shoulder to the kitchen. She sighed, dropping her head, and walking into the kitchen. "Gunther, I'm assuming you know everything that is happening with Cecelia, so you can stay."

"What are you talking about?" CeCe slid into the seat at the kitchen table, frowning at her mother. Gunther sat down next to CeCe, frowning as well. "Mom, what's going on?"

"I know that you do not work at SIU." CeCe sucked in a deep breath. Her mom knew? When did she find out? "When were you going to tell me, Cecelia?"

"Soon," she choked out, her eyes wide. "I promise."

Georgia hummed a response, spinning her chair around and sitting down. She looked so disappointed that CeCe could feel her eyes tear up. She should have just told her mother when she was fired from SIU instead of lying to her. "You want to know how I found out?" CeCe slowly nodded. "There was a party at the set of SIU a couple of months ago. Someone got a little too drunk and they jumped off of the balcony, breaking their leg in the process. I showed up to the scene because I was close by and asked where you were. No one knew, and Ty suddenly disappeared, so I couldn't ask him."

"I am so sorry, Mom," CeCe said, reaching forward to grasp her mother's hands in hers. Her eyes became watery, so she blinked away the tears. "I know that my apology won't take away my lie, but know that I wanted to tell you everyday. It killed me that I lied to you."

"Who all knows that you don't work there?"

"Flynn, Ty, Deuce, Dina, and Gunther."

Georgia nodded, her mouth in a straight line. She squeezed CeCe's hands, saying, "Thank you for apologizing. It doesn't make up for the years of your lie, but I am glad that you are sorry for it. Where do you work now, then?"

"Crusty's."

Georgia laughed, her beautiful smile appearing on her face. "That's great, CeCe."

"Yeah." A thought crossed CeCe's mind, so she said, "Did Rocky or Tinka tell you how SIU wants the old dancers back?"

"Yeah." Georgia smiled at CeCe and Gunther, pulling her hands away from CeCe's. "When are you going to tell Rocky and Tinka that you don't work at SIU anymore?"

"I don't know," CeCe said, slumping back in her chair. Gunther patted her leg underneath the table, resting his hand on her knee. "Do you think you can tell them for me?"

"No," Georgia said, shaking her head. "You have to be the one to tell her."

"Don't worry about that," another voice said. CeCe hopped up and saw Rocky standing in the living room, a hurt look on her face. "You just told me."

"Rocky!" CeCe said, walking around the table. She noticed Tinka standing next to Rocky, her arms crossed over her chest. "Tinka. How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough," Tinka said, her voice icy hard. "Were you ever going to tell us?"

"I was," she said, rushing into the living room. Rocky and Tinka both back away from CeCe, making her cry out. "Seriously, guys, I was going to tell you!"

Rocky shook her head, her face hardening. "I cannot believe you, CeCe. You know, I thought you changed after all of the years, but you haven't. You're still a selfish liar. Why did I even think that you could change?" She turned toward Tinka, saying, "Let's go to my parents house. For once, I'm glad that they bought a house after I moved away."

Tinka and Rocky went back to CeCe's room to grab their things. CeCe collapsed to the floor, letting out a sob. "Oh, honey," Georgia said, appearing at her shoulder. She placed a hand on her back, saying, "They'll come around eventually."

"No, I don't think they will," CeCe said, watching as her friends walked out of the door. Rocky didn't even glance back as she slammed the door shut. "They hate me."

"No, they do not," Gunther said, moving in front of her. He dropped to his knees and drew CeCe into a hug. "They will come around soon."

CeCe wasn't too sure. This was the biggest lie she had kept from them, so why should they come around? She purposefully hid her job as a waitress from them do that they wouldn't get mad at her about her lie. She wished she could have told them differently, but that's just how her life was. Nothing ever went right.