Chapter 2: Megan's POV: One Week Later

“Megan, wake up, it’s eight o’clock.” I heard my mom say as she gently shook me awake.

        “Mmm, OK I’m up.” I yawned; I had been dreaming about John again. I got out of my bed and stretched my arms above my head.

        I’ve been going to the hospital every day for the past week in hopes that John will wake up but so far his vitals have been normal. However, I think his leg might have twitched three days ago and then his arm the day after that. Unfortunately, he didn’t wake up. This does prove that he’s alive though.

        “Are you sure you want to spend another day at the hospital Honey? I know you want to be there for John but you’ve gone seven days straight and stayed all day each day.”

        I went over to my closet to find an outfit as I continued talking. “I want to keep John company, Mom, and I enjoy talking and reading to him even though I don’t know if he can actually hear me. Now, does this look OK?”

        I showed her an outfit I had found and she smiled and stepped closer to kiss me on my forehead, “Perfect.”

        I gave her a small, fake smile in return but Mom must have known it was fake because she hugged me and said, “Don’t worry Megan, John’s going to wake up soon and you’ll both go on in life.” She held me for another minute before letting me go. “You go take a shower now while I make breakfast,” she ordered which made my lip twitch.

        “Is that your way of saying I stink?” I raised an eyebrow.

        “Yes now shoo.” She made shooing movements and I let out a chuckle which earned me a big grin from her.

        “Aye Aye Captain!” I saluted her and marched out of my room and into the bathroom down the hall with my clothes in hand.

        I came out of the shower fifteen minutes later feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the new day. I slipped on my dark wash jeans and a light blue blouse and pulled my hair into a ponytail. I then went downstairs and breathed in the delicious smell of scrambled eggs, biscuits, and my personal favorite, bacon.

        Mom looked up from where she stood at the stove and smiled at me. “You look beautiful Megan.”

        “Thanks.”

        I flipped my hair for effect and sat down besides my step-dad, Ken, who had the newspaper and a cup of coffee in his hands and an overflowing plate of food in front of him.

        Ken whistled at me. “Looking gorgeous as ever Meg.” I blushed and dug into my steaming plate of food.

        My mom and Ken had met two years after my dad had passed away. They were at a support group for people whose loved ones had died due to cancer. Ken’s wife had died after fighting breast cancer for a year. Mom and Ken were obviously attracted to each other but were a bit hesitant at first to enter the dating zone. Since neither of them was going to step up and admit their feelings for each other, I played Cupid and set them up to talk it out. They ended up dating for nine months before they tied the knot five months later. I still remember the look each of them had in their eyes as they said their wedding vows. After seeing their love for each other, I knew that Mom had finally found someone to fill in the empty hole in her heart that Dad had left after he had died.

        Forking the last mouthful of food into my mouth, I stood up and walked over into the kitchen and placed my dishes in the dishwasher. I kissed Ken and Mom both on their cheeks and grabbed my car keys where they sat on the window sill above the kitchen sink.