24

mybabydallaswinston is the reason these chapters are continuing please go follow them :)
Jacqueline

"I don't think it matters how much you all expain it to me, I'm never gonna get why they fight." YingFei said, referencing the greasers and socs as our group walked to Susan's house. I was almost going to tell her what Ponyboy had told me that night at the lantern release, the jealousy and hatred they have for each other that divided them, but I bit my tongue. They might question how I know. Dustin, Susan, and I have had the conversation many times before and we could never come up with an answer.

"I dunno, probably just 'cause some of 'em got money and some of 'em don't" I shrugged. We kept on walking to Susan's house, Dustin and YingFei talking to each other the whole time. YingFei seemed to be batting her eyelashes as she talked, it reminded me of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind. In the beginning of the book when she manipulates the twins. I began getting lost in my mind, thinking about Scarlett O'Hara and how it could even be possible to have a 17 inch waist when Susan broke my thoughts.

"Hey Jackie?" she asked tentatively, I looked over at her and nodded.

"Yeah?" I asked, snapping the hair tie on my wrist.

"What ever happened with you and your tutor...Ponyboy right? He took you on a date that one time and then it's like he had never existed." she said, I bit the inside of my cheek as I hopped over a rain puddle. I knew I had to lie, just what was I gonna say? 

"Uhm, we decided it'd be better to just be study buddies." I fibbed hastily and she nodded,

"Oh yeah, well I'm sorry. Truly I am, I know you liked him." I nodded and faked sadness. She gave me a small smile and looked back towards Dustin and YingFei, joining into their playful argument. I smirked to myself, oh what she didn't know.

Ponyboy

"I hate ignoring you at school." I told Jacqueline as I erased the 8 on my algebra homework, it looked more like a 6. We were at her kitchen table, doing homework together as usual. She lifted her eyes from her Spanish textbook. She sucked her teeth with a grin,

"Stop tryin' to distract me," she said, I scoffed.

"It's the truth." I shrugged, setting my pencil down. It was true, almost too true. I despised having to look the other direction when we passed by each other in the hallways and having to pretend she didn't exist at lunch times. I couldn't even say a simple 'hey' to her in class. Our interactions at school were just simple head nods and discrete smiles. Or if we did get a chance to talk it was hidden in the library, where we had to be quiet and weary of someone seeing us.

"It's unfair and not right, but there's nothing really we can do about it Ponyboy." she sighed, flipping her textbook closed. She rested her head on her hands and gave me a soft smile.

"Just cause change where we can." she finished off. I nodded with a small smile. She was as pretty as ever, sometimes I wonder if she feels like Sodapop does. How she can stand to be so good looking, she was probably the cutest girl I'd ever seen. She runs miles past every girl in school. I bet if the world wasn't the way it is she'd be signed to some modeling company or somethin'. 

"You wanna go to the drive in together tomorrow?" I asked her. She gave me an 'are you serious' look, arching an eyebrow.

"You know I'd like to Ponyboy, but everyone in town goes there." she said, her face looked like she would really like to go, but she knew she couldn't. I always feel bad for her in that way, how she has to think about where she can go all the time. I have to think like that sometimes being a greaser and all, but the amount of thinking she has to do is probably something I'll never imagine.

"It's dark there though and it'll be a Thursday, nobody goes on Thursday's." I coaxed, she smirked and nodded. She knew I was right. It looked like she was debating her answer in her mind, biting her bottom lip and squinting at me. I mimicked her and she chuckled,

"Alright fine, but we gotta be extremely careful." she said giving in, playfully rolling her eyes. I grinned, 

"Great, I'll be by at 6:30 tomorrow?" she nodded. Darry wouldn't be home tomorrow, meaning I wouldn't have to get on my knees and beg to go out on a weekday. Although, he has been more relaxed ever since Johnny nearly died. Probably had an awakening or somethin' that I'm still a kid who wants to have fun. I dunno.