25

authors note:
mybabydallaswinston is the reason these chapters are continuing so please go follow them!!:)
Jacqueline

I debated between my pastel pink cardigan and my black cardigan. I ended up choosing the black one, it might help me to not be seen and I needed as much help as I could get. Earlier I almost went and called up Ponyboy to cancel, but refrained. He seemed glad to go somewhere with me and he brought up a valid point that nobody goes on Thursday's. Plus I went their once last year with Susan and Dustin, major mistake, Dustin ended up with a broken nose, but I noticed it was incredibly dark. I finished up getting ready, sliding on my skirt and spritzing on vanilla perfume.

"Jacqueline your lover boys here!" I heard my sister shout from downstairs, my eyes widened. I didn't even hear his knock, I grabbed my wallet and tucked it into my skirt pocket as I made my way downstairs. I made it to the end of the stairs and I smiled at Ponyboy from behind my sister who was telling him all about how he should see a shrink and that Jacqueline Clark had never existed.

"Move it Vanessa." I giggled, pushing her with my shoulder to meet Ponyboy face to face. She squinted her eyes at me in an annoyed fashion and left swiftly. I rolled my eyes at her as I watched her leave. I turned my gaze back to Ponyboy who was standing on my door step.

"Hey," I smiled, he returned it.

"Hey, you ready to go?" I nodded and in a matter of moments we were walking to the drive in together.

"So, are you sure this is a good idea Ponyboy? I mean, obviously I want to go, but what if someone sees us?" I asked as we walked, I was real nervous. Sure, we'd be careful, but there's only so much precaution you can take ya know?

"It'll be fine Jacqueline, I really doubt anyone's gonna see us." he said, laughing a bit. I nodded, sucking my teeth,

"Yeah I guess you're right..." I trailed off. We continued talking about this and that until we got to the drive in. It was fairly dark and the only illumination was the big neon sign reading,

The Nightly Double
Playing:
Alfie
and
Bikini Beach

I was about to step towards where they were selling tickets, fishing for my wallet in my skirt when Ponyboy grabbed my wrist.

"C'mon there's a better way," he said, a playful smile on his face. I chuckled and followed him, his hand melted from holding onto my wrist to our hands interlaced as he led me.

It was a short walk, probably two minutes, we were walking the perimeter of the gate that blocked the drive in from the street so that people couldn't enter without paying. He let his hand out of mine and in the darkness I could only barely see what he was doing. He slid under this opening, or I guess hold in the gate and once he came back up he smiled at me through the chain link.

"Guess it's my turn," I mumbled. I didn't see the point at first, it was probably only 50 cents at the maximum to get in without a car, but I realized if we were standing in line together people would stare and probably put two and two together. I went under the gate too, careful to not get any dirt on my clothes and he smirked at me as I came up.

"Let's go." I smiled and he nodded with a matching grin. We made our way to the seating area, would it be better to sit in the very front or very back? Nobody was sitting in the seating area yet, so I chose the back right. I sat down next to Ponyboy, I wasn't quite sure which movie we were seeing; Alfie or Bikini Beach but I didn't really care. I'd heard Alfie was good and Bikini Beach was most likely full of a bunch of shirtless guys, so I didn't have a preference.

I wish we would've been seen together. Well, no I didn't, but this made me come close to wishing it. I went to go get us popcorn, it took me no more than 5 minutes. And now as I come back I find Diana Britt was chatting up Ponyboy, sitting where I was. I couldn't even say anything or she'd see we were together. Ponyboy didn't seem to mind talking to her either which made it worse, it wasn't surprising that a girl would take interest in him. He was awfully cute, it was that he liked talking to her too. It wasn't just talkin' either, I couldn't hear what they were saying, seeing as I was a good 10 feet away and the movie was ridiculously loud. But I could see her winks, the way she twirled her hair in her fingers, and her batting eyelashes. I wasn't blind, I could see his smiles, his chuckles, and the way he looked at her. Like she was the most interesting thing in the world.  (I couldn't really blame him, she was a real sight for sore eyes.) I sighed,

"Whatever," I mumbled turning on my heel. I don't know what I expected, we're from two different worlds. He's white and I'm not. He has the privilege of walking into any business he'd like and I don't. It wouldn't work out even if I liked to pretend it would. I'd call him on Saturday and say we weren't working out, breaking up with him. I'd return his money to him for the popcorn at school the next Monday and then it'd be over. It'd be all fine and dandy, we'd go back to our own worlds and he could be with his white girls and I could be with my black boys. Just like how it's supposed to be. I threw the popcorn out in some random can as I walked out of the drive in.