07

Jacqueline

I smiled at myself in my mirror as I spun around. It was a skimpy dress, which might caution my mother into making me throwing on a jacket or change entirely, but it was worth a shot. It was dark red and ended at my mid thighs. The straps were spaghetti styled, meaning it was a good idea to skip the dance. 'Cause I wouldn't have made it past the parking lot without a dress code. I heard the doorbell ring and I smiled wide racing down the steps to get to Dustin, my ticket and purse in hand. For once I made it to the door before any of my family members and opened up the door excitedly.

"Wow you look like a slut." Dustin teased and I giggled hitting him upside the head.

"Love you mom! I'm goin' with Dustin!" I called up the stairs,

"Love you too!" my mom called back and soon Dustin and I were on the road in his pick up truck to Texas.

"You excited?" Dustin asked me as he drove. I nodded smiling, humming the tune to 'You Made Me Love You' and he chuckled,

"I need to make a pit stop real quick alright?" Dustin asked with a smirk. He soon settled his hand on my upper thigh and I furrowed my eyebrows, but nodded nonetheless. Whatever he was probably just messin' with me. He turned to an empty parking lot and stopped the car. He unbuckled his seat belt and turned down the radio, I got an uneasy feeling in my stomach as he rubbed his hand up and down my thigh.

"We've known each other for a while now, right?" he asked and I nodded. I put my hand on his as a sign for him to stop. He just smirked, but did stop.

"And well I like you Jacqueline, that much is pretty obvious." my eyes nearly shot out of my head, and the pieces started to come together.

"This was your plan all along wasn't it?" I asked looking up at him. He furrowed his eyebrows, not knowing what I was talking about or playing dumb.

"Promise me an amazing fun night and then if I say no then you'll just leave me here right?" I questioned him. He sucked his teeth,

"Jacqueline you know me, is it such a crime to have a crush on you?" he asked and when I didn't say anything he took his chance. He leaned in to kiss me and I sighed grabbing my purse, putting a hand in front of my face.

"I-I'm sorry Dustin. I don't reciprocate these feelings for you and I can't spend the night with you knowing that...I'm sorry." I said, mumbling the last part and leaving his car. I felt bad, really bad. But I don't have to subject myself to loving him if I don't want to right? I walked down the sidewalk, the heels of my shoes being the only sound. I'm not sure if that was comforting or not, but I continued. Honestly I had no idea where I was going which scared me a bit, but I would be fine. I walked for a while, contemplating taking off my heels and walking barefoot when I saw a light coming from behind me, I turned and saw a group of teenagers sitting in a sleek black Cadillac blaring The Beatles.

"Just my luck." I muttered as they slowed down to go beside me.

"Where you goin' nigra?" one of the passengers asked with a mocking tone hinted in his voice.

"Nowhere." I mumbled, not even looking in their direction, the boy chuckled.

"You gotta be goin' somewhere, why don't we give ya a ride. You from Tulsa?" he questioned and I shook my head.

"California, here for a visit to my family." I lied.

"Just leave her alone Marcus, let's go." a girl whined. When I took a closer look it was no other than Diana Britt. I wondered why she didn't call me out on my fib, we had 3 classes together. Or maybe she'd just never noticed me.