31- Claims

Ola:

"He did not like me at all."

"Saheed can be quite...territorial."

"And you like it, don't you?" Boma asks in a conspiratorial tone.

To buy time, I raise my mug of warm mocha to my lips and take a long sip. Boma watches intently, a smile on his face. He lounges in his chair, at ease with everything around us- who wouldn't be, anyways? We are seated in a new coffee shop somewhere in Ikoyi, having opted for something different from The Place. There are bookshelves lining the walls around us, filled with books for customers to pick and read at their pleasure. The combination of soft music playing from hidden speakers, the aroma of coffee and freshly-baked pastries, and the warm brown tones from the décor of the space gives the environment a relaxed, intimate ambience.

"Well, won't you answer?"

"I like it. Sometimes."

"Did I mention how sorry I am for the way I grabbed you at that party?"

I roll my eyes. "For the nth time, Boma, yes."

"I shouldn't have made you uncomfortable."

"Apologize one more time and I'll walk away."

Boma chuckles. He takes a bite out of his sugared donut. "Coming here was a great idea. This donut tastes like heaven."

"You know, I've never really pictured Nigerians liking coffee shops like this," I say.

"Because of the stereotype of 'being loud and noisy'?"

I shrug. "Something like that."

"Ola, we're over two hundred million; I'm sure that's enough room for a variance in tastes."

"So, tell me, why did you invite me out for lunch anyways? Knowing the kind of relationship Saheed and I have? I ask, curious.

"Oh, the question should be, why did you accept?"

I let out a laugh. Okay, this one is smart. "I could just be looking for new friends, different company."

"Same as I."

"I don't believe you."

"I don't believe you, either."

Pausing, I bite from my cinnamon roll and chew for a few seconds. "You're not going to make this easy for me, are you?"

He shakes his head. "Nope."

"Fine. I did it to make Saheed jealous. Partly. He was being such a bull."

Boma leans backwards and laughs, his head thrown back. "I invited you for lunch because I think you're interesting. And partly because...well, he was being so possessive the other night. I sensed you're not both official yet so I thought, why not? But I didn't expect you to say yes. It was just an impulsive thing, the flowers too."

"He was being a brat about those." I smile inwardly at Saheed's reaction to the roses. He had asked, with all the indignation in the world 'Am I a joke to that buffoon?' and it had taken nearly all my strength to pretend to not notice his jealousy. Oh, how badly I had wanted to laugh!

"Another reason is that I enjoy the company of beautiful women. Taken or not, it's not wrong to sit with some good food for a little chat, is it? And if you haven't observed- which I hope you have- he is really into you."

"Hmm."

I reflect on Saheed's behavior towards me: sometimes aloof, sometimes involved, sometimes possessive, sometimes gentle and maddening and downright confusing...but recently he has shown this vulnerability that makes me mentally pause and wonder what is going on with him. Of course, it could be his family issues bothering him. Or maybe he's just comfortable around me, having achieved some level of 'see finish' with me and vice versa. I mean, we've had sex a few times.