21- Egungun, Be Careful

Saheed:

Sitting alone and eating breakfast with a hard on was not on my agenda for the day.

My meal doesn't taste so delicious anymore; not when I have tasted something far more intoxicating. What on earth had brought Ola here? How could one look at her melt all my resolve to stay away and dey my dey? Why did you decide to remind her of the things she left behind eons ago?

Anita showing up and ruin my silent meal isn't part of the plan, either.

"Good morning, grumpy man," she greets me as she plops herself down on the seat across the table from me.

"How did you know I was here?" I ask her, unable to help the frown that forms on my face.

"A nice coincidence, actually. I thought to order for breakfast here, then call you to come and settle the bills like a darling."

Christ. What did I get myself into with this girl?

In a moment of weakness- and in a bid to forget about Ola- I had called up Anita, wined and dined with her, and we had ended up in bed a few times. As with my other liaisons, I had made it clear what I wanted from the onset. No romance, just sex and company once in a while. She had agreed, promising that everything would be purely friends with benefits, no strings attached.

So why does it suddenly feel like she is intruding?

Over the past two months, I have ensured that she lacks nothing- money, clothes, whatever she wants except me. And that has worked out well for us; great sex, no expectations. So why does she show up unannounced today?

"Anita, don't you have activities lined up for today?"

Anita shakes her head. "No work for me today. I've been such a good girl, my boss told me to take the day off." She emphasizes on the good girl, a small smile on her lips.

A pretty young woman she is, Anita. Ebony skin and curves in the right places, youthful exuberance and so much energy. A loud, tinkling laughter and a breathy voice. A small part of me knows that I had initially been interested in Anita because of her slight resemblance to... Queen. I had noticed her that fateful night at G-plus, the same night that Ola had come into my life.

Ola came into my life and now I can't seem to let her go easily, I muse.

"And you chose to show up uninvited?" I ask Anita. "I thought we've been through this sort of conversation before."

I push the remnants of my meal away. Anita pulls the plates towards herself, picking up my cutlery and scooping jollof spaghetti and vegetables into her mouth, sucking the strands in a manner I would have found seductive if I weren't so distracted.

"I missed you," she says with a pout.

Egungun be careful, na express you dey go.

I raise my brows. "That is a red flag, especially as we both agreed on the same terms."

The fork falls from Anita's hand to the chinaware with a loud clatter. A few people look in our direction.

"Saheed- "

"It means that feelings have just joined the group chat."

"You really don't feel anything for me?" she asks in mild disbelief.

"Anita, not here, please. Let me get you a ride back home. I don't want to create a scene."

"So that's it? Use and dump me, then?"

I rise to my full height and arch a brow, ensuring I appear as intimidating as I wish to be. "Stop talking like I did not warn you and we didn't both enjoy this so far. I'd appreciate my privacy and would not like to be intruded upon without a heads up. Now if you will excuse me, I have places to be. A ride will be waiting outside for you in two minutes. Have a nice day, Anita."