33- Can't Stay Away

Song: 'If You No Love' by Chike

Ola:

"Why is he now doing like goat. Eh?"

"Babe... I don't know I swear," I reply.

Nonye hisses on the other end of the line. "Clearly he has a thing for you but he's forming hard guy."

"Not necessarily hard guy, Nonye. He can be such a big baby sometimes."

I catch myself smiling at memories of Saheed giving me a big grin every time I handed him a plate of food, how he visibly relaxed whenever I touched his head, the way his face lit up when I remarked on how cute he looked when pissed.

Ola, when did you make all these memories? I ask myself in shock.

"Hello? Are you still there?" Nonye snaps. "If not let me go oh. I have a date with someone."

"Yes. It was...the network sorry."

"Or you zoned out while thinking about your man?"

"He's not my man," I protest.

"He's the type of man that even taking his picture to babalawo won't do him shi-shi. All these odieshi men."

"Nonye," I exclaim before bursting into laughter. "Are you okay like this?"

"I'm just annoyed with your man."

"Why do you keep calling him my man?"

"Because he is; he just doesn't know it yet."

"Speaking of the man that isn't mine, how is my bae-inlaw?"

"Oh, Femi. He is the best thing that has happened to me since I came to this Canada."

"I know I've said this a million times, but Nonye I am happy for you. You deserve all the love you're getting," I tell her.

"I want you to get it too, Ola. It's the best feeling in the world. After that fool Rex- ohhhh, I heard that his wife has moved out of their house oh!"

"How did you hear this all the way from the abroad and I didn't?"

"Dey there, pant dey wear you. My sister, there is trouble in paradise oh."

"I hope it all ends well for them."

My friend scoffs. I picture her with her trademark smug expression. "The gist is that he got another woman pregnant. The wife found out and japa-ed."

"Poor her. We thank God."

"We thank God, indeed."

"Moving on to more pressing matters, when is your next trip to Nigeria?"

"Pleas allow me to enjoy myself here. We'll talk later. Femi is here to pick me up."

The excitement in her voice makes me laugh. "I go love oh!"

"Let Saheed's brain reset so we can trade our love stories."

I shake my head at her remark and tell her goodbye before clicking off. A yawn escapes from my mouth, my body's way of reminding me that I need to rest properly.

I've spent the most of today in Yaba and Balogun markets, selecting and purchasing textiles for some designs. The hot Lagos sun, the dehydration, the walking and standing and talking with people have drained me. Thankfully, it is evening time and night will soon fall.

***

Not having much to do, I busy myself with my sketch book. The new designs are due in a month. Already, I am picturing Saheed in the outfits: bold colors, high necks, a lot of skin showing... They would look amazing on him.