27- Butterflies

Ola:

By 3:00 pm, I am parking my car on the parking lot of Ikeja City Mall, aka ICM. The shopping complex houses a Genesis Cinema, a Mr. Biggs, a KFC, Cold Stone Creamery- one of my favorite places to go to- and a plethora of other fast food outlets. There are also high-end stores like Mango, Woodin, Mac, and BlackUp. And then, there's the huge Shop Rite, where almost everyone who walks through the gates of Ikeja City Mall ends up. Because the shopping mall is just a fifteen-minute drive from where I live, I frequently come here for some snacks or beauty supplies from Casa-Bella.

Murmuring an apology to the woman who approaches me, I walk from my car to the building. The ICM parking lot is a place to meet all sorts of beggars- corporate, casual, you name it. The last time I'd been here, a woman had conned me of two thousand Naira by showing me three children seated at the back of her car, supposedly hers. She had said she ran out of fuel unexpectedly and needed help to get some for the drive home. Sympathetic, I had given her money before going into the mall. What surprised me afterwards was seeing her talking to another person two hours later, at another part of the parking lot, with the same poor children in the same car. I'd shouted, "Madam, e never do you? You no dey tire?" before driving off, shaking my head.

After buying two tickets for myself and Saheed, I decide to enjoy a quick cup of Cold Stone before Saheed shows up. In a few minutes, I get myself a small-sized cup filled with Sweet Cream Bailey's, one of the most wonderful things to ever exist on planet earth. Seated at the food court, my mind drifts off to Saheed. Was I too forward, inviting him on this movie date? So, it's a date. I suppose. Oh, the way he had laughed! I could see him in my mind while we spoke over the phone a few days ago, his teeth flashing, his eyes alight with amusement. I can remember how nervous I felt, wondering if he would think I was being a nuisance. And then the relief I felt when he'd said, "Wait, I'll take that. Date, time?"

The truth is that I miss him. I can't explain how he's gotten under my skin without even trying, how the sight of him excites me, how I crave his presence these days.

It must have been the sex. Maybe it's hooked me...temporarily?

But I know otherwise. Saheed is...passionate even without attempting to. Passion in his looks, his words, his actions, his silence. His spontaneity, his energy... The first time we met, I'd seen it even when he was dead drunk. I'd felt it when I walked back into his suite after saying I was leaving that night because of the things he said. I'd felt it when he'd agreed to pretend to be my fiancé for two weeks.

I can be very charming. Let's hope you're immune, for your own sake, he had warned me.

I mentally facepalm myself and roll my eyes. He did warn me, and now look. Just look at my life. I have gone to bed with him and what's worse, developed some form of affection for him despite my common sense. And now, I am dragging him on movie dates, willingly grabbing every opportunity to be with Saheed. I find myself scanning to crowd of passersby for him. But I realize that Saheed would have called if he were on the way. Upon dialing his number, I get a prompt that his line is busy. Maybe he's trying to call me, too.

But after waiting for a few more minutes, no call comes in from him. Brushing off the uneasy feeling, I dial his number again. Unavailable. I check the time: five minutes to the start of the movie; we should be queueing up at Genesis Cinema by now. My phone beeps, distracting me from my worry. A message from Saheed:

I'm sorry, I can't make it. Emergency.

Instantly, my excitement dies off, deflating like a balloon. Standing at the entrance to the cinema, I scan the crowd, wondering what to do with my extra ticket. Fortunately for me, I overhear the woman at the counter telling a teenage girl that the cinema is full for the 4pm movie. I approach them, forcing a smile.