Chapter Fifteen

I rolled over again, sighing as I accepted the fact that I wasn't going to sleep tonight. Instead of going to the penthouse, we went to Nathan's mansion. It was being renovated for the past few months but ready a few days before the wedding.

Our things were already here, mine didn't even fill an eighth of the space in the walk-in closet. I really needed to get new clothes. I had my own room not far from Nathan's or Oliver's.

We came here immediately after the wedding and as per tradition, Nathan carried me through the threshold bridal style. It was sweet of him to do that. Usually, from what I read, in arranged marriages, the husband doesn't do that, often he ignores his wife completely. I know with Nathan that wouldn't be the case.

Giving up on sleeping, I decided to get a bottle of water for just in case I get thirsty later. I crept slowly into the kitchen and opened the fridge, taking out a bottle.

“Can't sleep?” I heard someone say suddenly.

I let out a shriek, putting the water in front of me like a weapon. Not that it would do me much good.

The lights were already on so I could see Nathan sitting at the island behind his laptop, smirking at me. I let out a relieved breath and pushed through my embarrassment to glare at him.

“Why did you do that?” I asked feigning annoyance.

“I thought it would be funny.” Then he let out a laugh that he seemed to have been holding. “And it was.”

I walked towards him. “You're lucky I didn't hurt you.”

He chuckled. “Because a bottled water can do so much damage.”

I rolled my eyes at him then my eyes caught his laptop screen “What are you working on?”

“It's a new hotel.”

“I thought your company only did technology.”

“Yes, but we're expanding our services. That's what this marriage was for. We're collaborating with Jordan and Co to open a new chain of hotels since they're experienced in that line of business.” He explained, showing me the architectural designs of the building.

“Wow.”

“I just hope nothing happens, this is really important.”

I hope so too. If this doesn't work out then it means our marriage would be for naught.

I still can't believe we're married.

“Back to my question.” I raised an eyebrow at him. “Are you finding it hard to sleep?”

I nodded, dropping on the chair beside him.

“Why? Is the bed not comfortable? Do I need to get someone to change it?”

I shook my head quickly. “No, it's not that.”

“Then what is it?”

I was embarrassed to tell him. Only kids have this problem. “I find it hard to adjust to new places.” I watched as his eyebrows furrowed after I said that. “I know it's childish and stupid, it's just something that happens to me. Just forget, I said anything.”

Way to humiliate yourself, Alyssa.

“It's okay, I understand.” He told me. “Is there anything I can do to help?”

“No, I just have to get use to the place but I probably won't sleep tonight.” I shrugged, inwardly happy that he didn't find me weird.

“I'll stay up with you.” He offered.