Chapter Fourty-two

Nathan

“My Lord, I'd like to call Mrs. Alyssa Graham to the stand.”

I squeezed her hand as she stood up for assurance. She's been nervous for the past week. Sleep was hard to come by for her and I'd usually stay awake and try to get her to sleep.

This trial couldn't come soon enough.

I watched as her fearful eyes darted to me constantly as they swore her in. Being the major victim, it was smart to get her testimony first. The only bad thing was that it wasn't our lawyer that called her, it was Christopher's.

Charles Bennett, the lawyer, was a man who had a knack for winning cases for guilty people. He was extremely arrogant and had no problem bragging to Alyssa about how he'd win this case.

The thought of her uncle going free nearly pushed her to a panic attack, luckily I got to her in time. I still owe the man a punch for what he did to her.

“Mrs. Graham, how long did you live with your uncle and his family?” He asked.

“Eleven years.” She answered.

“That's quite a long time to live with people you claim to have been abusive to you. If your claims are true, why didn't you move out when you turned eighteen?”

“He didn't let me.” She gestured to Christopher who sat at the defense table with his wife and daughter.

“At eighteen years, you are an adult legally, you wouldn't need anyone's permission to move out of a house.” Mr. Bennett stated.

“Well, I also didn't have the money for a new place. I didn't have any money at all.”

“I find it highly unlikely that a man like Christopher Jordan, a multi millionaire, would not provide someone in his care adequate funds to take care of themselves. Just look at his daughter, she has enough money in her account to ensure she doesn't have to work for the next few months. I believe you are also his daughter, why wouldn't he give you any?”

I could tell the whole situation was frustrating her as well making her scared. The way he spoke to her pissed me off as well, like she was a liar. Maybe that's what Christopher told him and he was supposed to make the court believe that. But he still annoyed me.

“He never gave me any money and he didn't let me work as a teenager.” Was her annoyed reply.

“Why not?”

“I don't know! He was controlling and abusive, he didn't even let me have any friends!”

“Funny you would say that.” His eyes darted to me and Alyssa's followed. “If you didn't have friends or if he was as controlling as to you say, you wouldn't be married, correct?”

Utter terror entered her eyes, hearing that. “Um…”

“'Um' is not an answer, Mrs. Graham.” He leans unto the edge of the witness box with a cocky smirk. “Why don't you tell us the truth Mrs Graham?”

Murmurs started behind me as the members of the media present took in the information. Alyssa looked horrified while Christopher and his lawyer smirked. They knew Alyssa would never disclose the contract even with the absence of a non-disclosure agreement.

The lawyer turned away from her and faced the judge. “Your honour, it is obvious that Mrs Graham believes she can play us all fool by making up this story about being abused just for fa…”

“There was a contract!”

The noise in the courtroom ceased as the words escaped her mouth. Everyone, the judge, the media, Christopher and his family, their lawyer, were shocked. I felt the same way and I think even she was surprised at herself.