Epilogue

Alyssa

“Mommy, mommy, wake up.”

I gripped the covers and pulled them over my face as sunlight hit my eyes with a groan. I heard a chuckle above me then a hand landed on my shoulder, shaking it.

“Come on, Love, you have to wake up eventually.” My husband urged sexily.

“Let me sleep.” Was my grumpy reply.

“But we made you breakfast.” The disappointment in Oliver's voice had me taking the blanket off to show him that I was awake.

“Good morning, Sweetie.” I said, using my elbows to prop myself up.

“Morning mommy.” He kissed my cheek, laying next to me to give me a hug. “Happy birthday.”

I smiled brightly, remembering it was my birthday. “Thank you, baby.”

“I'm not a baby, I'm a big boy.” He declared, crossing his arms with a cute huff.

“No, you're my baby Olly.” I teased, tickling his side.

He squirmed away from me to escape. “No I'm not!”

“Okay, okay, you're a big boy, happy?”

“Yes.”

Nathan dropped the tray of what I presume was food and sat at my other side. His arms circled around me and I leaned into his embracing as he dipped his head to kiss me.

I returned the kiss but pulled away hearing Oliver's loud 'ewwww'. We snickered at his adorable grimace and the way he ran out of the room but I stopped noticing the way Nathan was dressed.

“You're ready for work?”

He pursed his lips with a regretful expression. “Yeah, the meeting got moved up. I have to get going soon.”

“When are you coming home?”

“I'm not sure.”

“But it's my birthday.”

He saw the sad look on my face and sighed. “I know, happy birthday. I'm sorry I can't spend the day with you.”

I felt tears well in my eyes and cursed internally. Damn hormones. I swiped at the tears, leaning into him when Nathan cupped my face brought his hand up to help.

“No need to cry, I promise, I'll make it up to you.” He pulled me into his lap, cradling me to his chest.

We stayed in that position for a while. I soaked up his warmth, wishing he would be able to spend my birthday with me.

A wish that wouldn't come true.

I understand why he couldn't. After the trial, a few months ago, he took up the responsibility of managing Jordan and Co no matter how much I insisted I could do it. I was head of the board of directors and had to do very little while he had the job of restoring the company.

Christopher had made a terrible decision in his time and because of that, the company was losing money, a lot of it and Nathan convinced me to let him handle it. I still appeared at meetings I was needed at but most times I was at home, writing.

The meeting he was attending was to convince some very important investors to not withdraw their investments from us. If he was successful, it would take a huge weight off us.

“I have to leave now, Love.” He spoke just as his phone chimed.

I got off the bed when he finished putting on his shoes and surprised him with a hug. “Thank you for doing this. You didn't have to manage the company but you did, knowing that I'll be able to continue writing and it'll but a lot on you.”