Chapter 6: Dropped Bodies

The beautiful young lady had been dragged out of the room by her friend.

Another woman—a shy-looking one—had replaced her, sitting in front of the defeated young man. Despite the unsettled vibe he was giving, the young man tried his best to pretend that a sordid show of unfaithfulness, of which he was the main star, hadn't just happened.

But they didn't stay long. It seemed like the appearance of the new woman could not lift the hefty atmosphere from before. The show was over, and there was not much left to see which deserved a standing ovation.

As a spectator of the show, he was left unsatisfied. But at the same time, thanks to his eavesdropping skills, the identity of the bewitching young woman from before had caught his attention. So, she was Violet Lee—the only daughter of the Lee group.

He stared at the small glass of whiskey neat, which the server had brought him. It was untouched. He'd been so engrossed in the show that he had forgotten to drink it. He held the glass in his hand and twirled it slowly with a slight frown on his face, lost in thought.

"Little Kai..." Someone was calling his name, interrupting his thoughts. A burly man had taken a seat in front of him, blocking his view of the empty stage.

"Chief." He nodded at the person he had been waiting for. His response was immediately met with a cackle of laughter.

"So formal? We're not at the office now..."

"That's true. But you called me here for work matters, didn't you, Uncle?" Kai countered, but still conceded into calling him by his familial title.

Leo Chen was the Police Commissioner of the city—the highest-ranking officer in the whole police force—and Kai Wu was his wife's nephew, who was also the commanding officer of The Organized Crime and Triad Bureau of the Hong Kong Island region.

"Haha... True. True..." Leo let out another hearty laugh. He saw a waitress and gestured for her to come and take their order.

"There are dropped bodies washed ashore in different spots on Po Toi Island. The marine police called it in." The waitress came to them with a smile. Leo smiled back at her before adding, "This is what I want to talk to you about. But first, we eat." They had both ordered the same dish—prime boneless ribeye steak served in rock salt with au jus and freshly grated horseradish.

"Your aunt was nagging at me earlier when she found out we're having dinner together. You must call her later, or she'll keep giving me a hard time," Leo complained as soon as the waitress left.

"Po Toi Island isn't my jurisdiction. How many bodies?" Kai said, ignoring his uncle's grievance.

Leo's eyes widened as he held up a finger toward his nephew. "You brat! Can't you at least pretend that you care? Don't you know how difficult your aunt can be?" he protested.

But he knew his nephew all too well. There was no point in throwing a pity party to elicit any kind of sympathy. Kai was too impervious for that. Well, it looked like he couldn't help his wife at this point. If she wanted something from her nephew, then she would have to handle it by herself.

So, Leo rested his hands on the table and could only release a sigh. "Three... All three bodies have a single clean gunshot wound to the head," he replied.

"How are they connected?"

"All gunshot wounds came from a .22 magnum."

Leo's answer seemed to pique Kai's interest. "Have you identified them? Are they part of the Red Sun triad gang?"

Leo crossed his hands on the table, letting out a sigh. He gave his nephew a grave look and said, "So you knew... Yes, one of the bodies was Wild Eddy's. He's..."