Chapter 13: Throwing in the Towel

It was Adam, looking as tired as a worn-out shoe. He pulled a chair and sat in front of Kiko, which made Kiko raise an eyebrow. She sighed. "Senior Tam, I have to go for my pre-round now. So, if you'll excuse me."

"Just five minutes. Please..." Adam pled.

"I'm busy. What is it?" Kiko asked impatiently. She knitted her eyebrows, looking at her wristwatch.

"Please help me talk to Violet. I-I've been trying to call her, sending her messages, but none of them went through."

"She probably doesn't want to talk to you. And the last time I checked, I'm her best friend, not yours. You're the guy who cheated on her. So, why would I help you?" Kiko scoffed.

She then noticed Chief Neurologist Wang, who had just entered the cafeteria. He spotted Adam and waved at him. Before Adam could say anything to Kiko, Dr. Wang had already walked over to their table.

"Hey Adam, thank you for spending time with my daughter last night. She said you couldn't stay long because you weren't feeling well," Dr. Wang said, his voice full of concern. "You don't look too well, indeed, son. You look exhausted. Are you okay?"

Adam gave Chief Wang a slightly awkward smile. He cleared his throat and answered, "Yes, Dr. Wang, I'm okay, thank you. Please extend my apology to Claire."

"Don't apologize, son. Claire is looking forward to meeting you again, but that can wait," he reassured Adam. "So, why are you here? I thought you're supposed to be flying to Shanghai this afternoon for the seminar tomorrow."

"Yes, I'm going to the airport after this. I just need to talk to a friend here for a bit," Adam answered, fidgeting with his glasses.

At the mention of a friend, Dr. Wang looked at Kiko and chuckled. "Ah, I believe you're the notable Miss Kano."

"Oh, you must be wondering how I know you," he added, noticing Kiko's blank expression. "Well, you've made quite a name for yourself around here, young lady. I've heard of your unrivaled stubbornness among all the students and of your bravery for challenging and giving the residents a headache."

He chuckled again, giving Kiko a warm smile. "But you know, I don't think being stubborn is always a bad thing, Miss Kano. It also says a lot about the other traits that you seem to possess—perseverance, passion, decisiveness, and the ability to stand your ground—all of which are admirable qualities to look for in a doctor.

"If you choose to pursue this path till the end, you can't let some harsh words discourage you. Believe me, it will be even tougher once you're out there, practicing medicine for real. Just remember that no matter what happens, patients always come first."

Having not expected to receive such warm words from the chief neurologist, Kiko was dumbfounded. She wore a blank look on her face. Dr. Wang's words truly felt like the sun had shone its rays on her bruised heart and assuaged it.

"Hm, am I giving out unsolicited advice again?" Dr. Wang scratched his head. "Sorry, sorry, don't let me interrupt the two of you more. Take care, son. Have fun at the seminar, and I'll see you when you're back." He patted Adam's shoulder and excused himself.

Kiko still had her mouth slightly agape when she realized that the chief neurologist had already turned around to leave. She quickly shouted, "Thank you, Dr. Wang! Thank you so much!"

He responded by waving at her dismissively.

She shifted her gaze back to Adam and jerked her head toward Dr. Wang. A huge grin decorated her face. "Wow, he's so kind. If only all the residents are like him. I understand now why you want to be on his good side."