Chapter 16: The Babe and the Maggot

The hostility in Grace's eyes made Violet's heart beat like a drum. She understood everything now. Grace hated her guts. She was so adamant about her coming here out of ill intentions. Violet still wasn't sure what Grace's end goal was, but she'd rather not stay long enough to find out.

"Grace, I... I really have to go now..." she stammered.

But suddenly, Grace's lips curled, changing the look of contempt on her face to a friendly one. "Aw, don't be like that, Vi... Did I scare you? Sorry, I didn't mean to. It's probably the drinks. Sorry, okay? Of course, I didn't mean it," she said, smiling, "I actually wanted to thank you for finally ending it with Adam and giving me another chance to pursue him. That's why I really wanted you to come to my party. I want you to have fun. So have fun for a bit before you go, okay?"

Violet shivered at Grace's sudden change in behavior. Her hands were still cold and clammy from fear.

Grace didn't wait for Violet's response and left. She went back to mingle with her friends, who were dancing in front of the room. Seeing this as her opportunity to leave, Violet subsequently got up from the couch. But before she could even take a step forward, a hand clasped her arm; it was Duncan's. She almost forgot he had been sitting beside her all this while, leering at her like she was his prey.

She tried to remove Duncan's hand from her arm, but Duncan only tightened his grasp even more. "Whoa, hold on... Where are you going, gorgeous? Relax... Sorry for staring, but you're literally the cutest girl I've ever laid eyes on," Duncan said with a sly grin on his face.

"Let go of me!" Violet demanded, glaring at him. Violet was used to other people complimenting her beauty, but this was the first time she felt repelled by such admiration. Her eyebrows automatically crinkled in disgust, her lips writhed, and her nose wrinkled.

"Hmm, playing hard to get, eh?" Duncan snickered as he tugged Violet back onto the couch. He leaned toward her like a predator closing in on its target.

Violet naturally slanted her body sideways to avoid him, but Duncan pulled her back closer to him. Violet grimaced, not only from repugnance but also from the pain in her arm.

"Why are you looking at me so disgustedly?" he snarled as he strengthened his grip on Violet's arm and pressed his body against hers. It was evident that his displeasure grew after seeing her distorted expression. Violet looked at him like he was a maggot. "Am I not better than that loser ex-boyfriend of yours? If a dweeb like him can score a cutie like you, why can't I?Huh?" 

"No, I have to go," Violet pushed him away, only for Duncan to force himself more onto her. 

"Not so fast, babe." Duncan laughed. "Drink with me first. What do you want to drink? I'll get you anything. Let's have fun, hm?" He breathed his words onto Violet's neck and kissed her earlobe, making Violet's skin crawl and her insides churn.

Never in her life had she ever felt this kind of nauseating fright. The revulsion that she felt for Duncan had now turned into fear. Tears shone in her eyes, and her lower lip trembled.

"No," Violet refused. "Let go of me..." she croaked.

"Damnit, Violet. Come on... drink with me first, and I'll let you go. Come on, babe, just one glass," Duncan urged.

Then, in one swift motion, Violet stomped her heel on Duncan's foot, making Duncan yelp in pain. She quickly got up to escape, but the sudden movement made her lose her balance, and in no time at all, Duncan managed to yank her forcefully back onto the couch, pinning her underneath him. "So, this is how you want to play, huh? Alright, let's play. This kind of behavior only turns me on," he laughed smugly as he whispered in her ear.