CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Chapter Seventeen

      That demon in that cell looking out at that boy. It was me, I was so lost, so hungry, the haze had taken me. How? How had I ended up here, where was here? Who, who was this pure soul looking in on me? This child that dared to get close to a demon. This monster that shined so brightly it hurt to look upon him. On  hands and knees I crawled over to the bars, food, I needed food.

     “Are...are you a demon?” The young Soji asked me, so bright his words were so strange. His voice the first I’ve heard in days, weeks, months, years maybe. It was so hard to keep track of the days and nights that slipped by. My own friend, my constant companion in this isolation was the gnawing hunger that ate at me. “Are you hungry?” He asked and my eyes shifted to his, hunger, I knew that word. I was that word. I am hunger, hunger is thy name. “I will let you out,” he said.

      Touching the lock that held me in this cell he glowed so brightly. Covering my eyes I couldn’t stand it. I couldn’t look upon that light, it burned as if hot coal was sitting on top of my eyes. This child, this boy, this younger Soji. It felt as if he was blinding me, burning my eyes from my skull. Then it was gone, that brightness faded just as fast as it had come. My eyes readjusted quickly as the door to the cell swung open freeing me from my prison.

      Hungry, I was so hungry. Looking at the child that lit up like the sun I could smell the blood inside of him. It was something sweet like a flower it clogged my nose and made my mouth salivate. I couldn’t produce words only a growling noise came from my mouth as I crawled out of my cage. Hunger is thy name, leaping I pinned the boy down. His small eyes looked so frightened as he lied under me. Reaching up his tiny hand touched my face.

      My fangs lowered becoming dangerously close to the little thing under me. “What is your name demon?” He asked me and I shook my head. So many people have asked me my name. So many had wanted this answer. How, how was I to know what I was called? How could anyone know who they are. “I am Soji, son of Rhett, son of Aella God of the moon. I demand your name demon.”

      “What is a name? What means does it hold to a God? What worth does it have to me?” My words were muttered, muted, unsure. Coming out as more of a growl then speach I wasn’t even sure if he knew what I had said. My saliva dripped down onto the God’s face. My stomach roaring, my hunger pressing down on me. The haze was so thick, what had come before this nothingness, before this hunger and nothing else. What could possible come after it?

       “If you wish it, eat me. It will hurt you more than me though.” The child promise as my fangs sunk into his tender skin. His thick blood rushed into my mouth. It was like acid on my tongue making me jump away. My stomach heaved trying to reject what had slide down my throat. It felt as if I had swallowed fired and I laid on my back clawing at my throat trying to rip the fire from me. This was pain that I had never known. Pain that brought even a demon to tears. “I told you not to,” the small child mocked me and I reached for him.

       I wanted to beg, to plead, to offer him my life if he stopped this pain. It was the only thing that I could think of. It was the first time that the hunger wasn’t on my mind. “Promise not to bite me again and I will help you Zassago,” he spoke a name and I could feel it’s meaning. What was this, there was a peace inside of me. At the same time the name stirred rage, turmoil within. I loved and hated it. It was my everything, and yet it held no meaning to me at all. Zassago, was that me. Had that been my name all along, or did he give it to me. Did this God of the Moon name me. A lowly demon who had dared to drink the sun.

      “Natsu,” a voice called and my eyes opened. I could see black eyes looking down at me. Red hair fell over his shoulder and down into my face. Sitting up Ban gave me a smile to sweet to ever fit on this demons face. I frowned at him touching my head wondering how I had come to be here. “We have places to go,” rising from the bed I dressed quickly following Ban from the room into the hall.