CHAPTER FIVE 2.0

How long has it been since I seen my best friend? Could I even call him a best friend when so many years have passed between our last meeting and this one. Blake, the one who was always getting me into stupid things. Blake the one that kept me grounded. No matter how much my parents fault his home was always a safe haven.

He looked older as if he was the last time I saw him. What happened that day? After the blue eyed demon came for us. I ran leaving him in my dust, but Kazuki was behind me. I can't remember calling to check on Blake later that night.

The next memory was playing video games with my brother. Then . . . then the next day I died. Maybe Blake had gotten away that night. That didn't explain why he was here. There was still so many holes in my memories. Those of when I was human and the years I slept in the fog as a demon.

His chocolate brown eyes were looking into mine. Why was he here? Why was Blake in hell? Why was he a demon of hell? There was a war raging around us, but meeting with Blake again made the world feel as if the world stood still. I reached it touching the edge of his brown hair. It was really him? The thought made me happy and sad at the same time.

Part of me was thrilled to see my best friend again. Blake and I had a bond that couldn't be broken or copied. We had each other's backs through thick and thin. He was the one person I could count on. In all of these years, I was ashamed to say I had forgotten him. I was sad because what happened that he would be a demon in hell.

"What happened to you?" Now wasn't really the time or place to talk about this. We might never find the time or place so now was as good as time as any. Blake only smiled giving me this goofy grin of his.

"I made a deal with a demon. He got my soul and I got . . . this." I clenched my jaw. Why would he make a deal with a demon? Why would he want to become a demon? Why would he want to be dragged down into hell?

"Was it the blue eye demon?" I asked licking my lips. Had Kazuki made a deal with him and then came after me. Blake only shook his head. His fingers pushed into his hair as he looked over at me. I could see that he was conflicted.

"When you ran the demon chased you. He ran right past me like I wasn't even there. I called the police and everything, but no one could find you. Then the next day . . . I called you all day, but you never answered your cell. They said . . . Yeal said you all were dead.

"Man, I was a mess after that. Then . . . this demon name Link came to me. He said that Lord Ban wanted to offer me a deal. I could die with the old world or I could see Natsu again in the new one. All I had to do was give him my soul and become a demon." Blake was crazy enough to take that deal. He gave up his soul just so he could see me again.

"You stupid fool." Blake laughed and I shook my head. It has been two hundred years since my death. Two hundred years since his new beginning. Why was he still in hell? Why would Ban send someone to make a deal with my friend?

"I had to become a demon. I knew that you would need me." I shook my head again. Of course, he would think that I needed him. Maybe I did. I kept befriending humans. They kept dying on me. Shu, he was the only other person to ever earn the title best friend. I wish him and Blake could have met each other. They would have gotten along swimmingly. Then again they would have driven me insane.

"Why are you still here? In here I mean?" Blake was on the top level. I could feel his powers. I was guessing he was an A class demon. He had enough power to get him to the door and back to the surface. So why was he still here?

"I was waiting for the Sin Killer. I knew Zassago was you. You're the only person stupid enough to fight a sin demon. The only one stubborn enough to not die by them." Reaching out he touched the side of my face. His smile was as big as mine. "You changed so much, Zero. I can see it in your eyes. You're much harder now. How did it happen? How did you change? Yeal was so sure you were dead."