The Spark in Us ✓

Tags: Childhood friends to lovers/College/tooth-rotting fluff/ Cliché

Word Count: 6k words

"Come on, Aisha, he's not worth it. Let's go." Tara says to her friend, gaze fixed on the two men standing in front of her, but the glare only directed at one of the two. Not on the man standing before her, never on him.

But Aisha, like the stubborn girl she is, just stands there, spewing out insults and names to the man standing in her line of sight, not sparing the other one a glance.

"No, Tara. He needs to learn. He ruined everything. It was all his fault, if we're standing here like this, then it's all his fault. If we're breaking up this group today, the friendship of us four, then it's all his fault." Aisha wails and Tara's hand freezes on her friend's arm, eyes widening.

Her gaze shifts from a slightly guilty-looking Ritik, to his friend, Dhruv, who she notices is looking back at her with the same nervousness in his eyes, gaze flitting between her and his friend.

"Wh-what are you saying, Aisha? Breaking up the group? I thought - I thought only you two had broken up, like a couple." Tara winces as her friend glares at her listening to her words, a flash of betrayal passing through her eyes.

She frowns. "Of course we broke up as a couple but do you think we'll be able to enjoy each other's company again? Do you think I'll be able to see his face anymore knowing that he's the one who broke my heart? It doesn't matter that we've all been together since childhood. What matters is that we dated and this - this jerk broke my heart. I can't hang out with him anymore, neither his friend."

This time it's Ritik who answers, interrupting Tara who once again was going to argue with her friend in defence of Dhruv.

"Stop playing the victim card, ok? You also know that high school relationships don't work. Why are you creating such a drama? We're starting University this year. We had decided that once the school will end, we'll reassess our relationship and I don't see the spark in us anymore." Ritik rebukes and the answer only contributes to triggering Aisha, making her spew more cusses, while Tara is left sighing with a disheartened frown on her lips, a sheen pooling on the surface of her eyes. She looks up at Dhruv who's still gazing back at her.

He gestures from his eyes to come aside, and Tara nods immediately, albeit discreetly.

"Listen, man, I know this is important but my mom's calling. I'll just talk to her and come back, 'kay?" Ritik merely nods, too busy giving Aisha a piece of his mind.

"Ah," she exclaims, covering up her tear-streaked eye with her hand, immediately breaking the ex-lovers' quarrel.

"What? What happened?" Aisha asks, turning to her and so does Ritik.

"I - I think it's just some dust particle. I'll go and wash my eyes. " She says but none of the two let her go.

"Okay, I'll come with you," Aisha then says while Ritik exhales an audible sigh of relief making the girl pause in her step. She turns towards him and narrows her eyes. "Did you just heave a sigh because I was going? You, who was confessing his undying love for me a week ago?" Aisha taunts and Tara rolls her eyes, shaking her head to herself.

"People make mistakes. I did too." Ritik retorts and just like that another argument breaks out, leaving Tara to herself, who quietly manoeuvres her way in the cafe from where she was standing outside on the street, formerly, Ritik and Aisha being requested to take their arguments outside which was disturbing the others as a result of which Dhruv and she had to come out as well.

She quickly spots Dhruv sitting at the corner table at the back of the place and walks over to it.

Dhruv, too, is fast to spot her, halting the foot that was continuously tapping the ground.