Never Giving Up On You (Part 2)

Word Count: 3k

Khanak is yet to complete her file, yet to prepare the presentation for the evening and still she hasn’t started working on it.

She isn’t procrastinating, no. She just can’t find it in herself to look at the laptop when away at the corner-most cabin sits him, ear busy with a call and hands continuously typing on the laptop.

There is nothing going on in her mind except the thought of him looking up and catching her staring, except the urge to replay the last conversation they had and make her heart understand that one day they’ll be together again, nothing except trying to convince herself that today isn’t that day.

Just not today.

It's all a lie.

He isn’t coming back.

Maybe he needs to start afresh, doesn’t want to get back into a relationship that had become so toxic at one point, that had made him toxic. It’s understandable, of course it is but Khanak doesn’t understand. All she understands is the urge simmering in her to walk up to him, tell him that she is still waiting and that she can’t go on without him.

It hurts her when he ignores her existence like he never held her hands, her heart breaks when he takes the name of everyone present in the room but when it comes to her, he addresses her with an ‘excuse me’, it ruins her when she tries to talk to him, and he looks up at her with a hint of remembrance of their time together before it disappears as does he.

Yes, she knows that he had done some mistakes, something for which their time apart was necessary. She too had thought that maybe her love for him had lessened because of that, but it was only to realize that no, her love for him could never diminish. She is ready to give him as many chances as he wants, as much time as he needs, just on the condition that he comes back to her.

It doesn’t feel like that anymore.

He feels like her past, her present but not her future.

*

“Lakshay, may I have your few seconds please.”

Khanak doesn’t knock when she enters his office, doesn’t shy away seeing one of her colleagues already sitting in front of him. The former looks at her blankly or tries to look nonchalant, but she can see the slight surprise in his eyes, while the latter doesn’t even bother hiding his gasp.

“Khanak, you can’t call him by his name. He is your seni –”

“Maybe you’re not aware but I got a promotion two days ago. So, it is you who can’t address me so casually. Ethically, but I don’t mind.” Khanak gives the guy a tight smile.

“Oh. Wow. I mean congrats,” the guy says already getting up from the chair probably to congratulate her, but she doesn’t think before she is sitting down on the same chair, the person sitting opposite the table unable to contain his surprise… Shock.

He sits up straight and clears his throat. “Actually, Gaurav and I were in a middle of an important discu –”

“Oh no, it’s alright, sir. I am sure there are many more important issues than you guiding me through a break up.” Gaurav chuckles while Khanak’s breath comes out slowly, lips unable to contain the bitter smile.

“If you would excuse me, sir, ma’am.”

And so, they are left alone, staring at each other before Khanak starts.

“Break up expert, huh? Going successfully through it, are you? Would you mind giving me a few tips as well?” Khanak is unable to morph the sharp bitterness that seeps into her voice with the ending words, making Lakshay yet again look blankly at her.