Star

Tags: Angst/Hospital fic/Romance/Exes to Lovers/ Passionate Love

Word Count : 8k words

"We'll meet tomorrow at ten. You will come right?"

"Of course,"

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Gauri's hands shake as she pushes and pulls gently on the skin of the forearm to spot the vein of the patient. Once she accomplishes that, she cleans the area with a spirit swab.

She then holds up the syringe in her hand with the needle pointed up and carefully inserts the needle into the rubber top of the vial. With the vial turned upside down, she pulls back the plunger, successfully filling the syringe with the dose.

Once ready, she taps the syringe with her forefinger and thumb and gently pricks it into the vein of the patient's forearm.

The said person hisses as the medicine hits his insides but Gauri knows that that hiss isn't from the piercing of the needle. She holds his arm still, anyways, with her free hand coming up to grasp his trembling arm and keep him from clenching his hand.

The patient glares at her and she averts her gaze.

Finishing, she pulls back the needle from the skin and tapes the area with the spirited cotton.

Within a moment, the patient's hand is on her and he squeezes her wrist. The hold isn't tight, it never is but an instinctive squeak still leaves her mouth, the pain behind his gaze hurting her more than the hold.

She presses her lips into a thin line to stifle the sound but it's too late, she feels a presence behind her and the grip instantly loses on her wrist. She glances at the patient one last time and then excuses herself from the spot not forgetting to dispose of the used equipments.

Once outside the 'A and E' ward, she leans back against the wall and closes her eyes, her chest rising and falling briskly. Behind her closed eyes, she sees the same forest and in her ears, she hears the same ten-year-old conversation.

Her heart breaks as the conversation replays in her mind.

She feels beads of sweat grazing her forehead and when she goes to wipe it with her hand, her eyes fall on her wrist. She smiles sadly, wistfully shaking her head.

The door to the ward opens up and she immediately wipes her eyes.

"Dr Sinha." She greets her senior with a neutral expression gracing her face.

"How are you, sister Gauri?" he asks with a smirk and she grimaces at his ability to convert such a polite word into something vulgar.

"Fine."

"You know, Gauri, you can come to me anytime if anyone messes with you," he says and she rolls her eyes.

"Just like that patient inside. Bloody ch-"

"I will, Dr Sinha, I will inform you. However, I must go now. The other patients would be needing my assistance." Gauri states, already making her way away from him. Her heart beats erratically as she passes the window by that patient's bed. Her heart stops when her gaze connects with his piercing one.

Her steps falter as a flash of emotion passes through his eyes but goes before it comes.

She gulps but resumes walking to the other wards.

*

Gauri is bandaging the head of a patient when the resident doctor, Adarsh Sharma calls for her. She hurriedly finishes up the bandaging and goes to the doctor.