Miss Mystic Falls

"Okay." Alaric clapped, calling the class to attention. "This week we're gonna set outside our regular curriculum for a lesson in local history as we approach Founders' Day. Apparently, the community leaders feel it's more important than World War II but, hey, what do I know?"

The classroom door opened, interrupting his lesson. "Sorry I'm late."

"Well, it looks like we will be at full occupancy today." He smiled. "Welcome home, Bonnie."

She sat down, smiling at each of her friends in a silent greeting. But that was all they got. She didn't look up again. Even when the bell rang, she rushed out of the room with her face buried in pages of homework.

"Bonnie!"

She turned to them reluctantly. "Hey."

"Hey, we tried to stop you after class but, you'd already taken off." Elena paused. "How are you? How's your family?"

Bonnie sighed. "We're dealing... it's been hard."

Abigail reached out for her, wrapping her into a hug. "We really missed you."

"Yeah." She pulled away; she pushed her away. "I just had so much to deal with after Grams' funeral and, honestly after Elena told me the tomb spell failed, I just didn't really want to come back."

"I hope you understand why I called. We wanted you to know before you came home."

"I understand why." She held her breath, searching for the right thing to say. "I just...shouldn't know."

There was something Grams used to say, and Abigail thought it might bridge the gap between them, "I know it's been really hard, but-"

"Bonnie!" Caroline pulled her into a welcomed embrace. "Thank God you're home! I know we talked everyday but I missed you."

Abigail was taken by surprise. She thought that her relationship with Bonnie lent its hand to her current situation in a way that Caroline's couldn't, but maybe that was what pushed her away.

"How are you doing?" Caroline asked.

"Better. Better." Bonnie smiled. "You know, glad to be back and trying to keep myself busy."

"Well, I can help with that. Major wardrobe problem." She practically jumped up and down. "You need to help me pick up the perfect dress for the Founders' Court."

"The Founders' Court?" Elena looked between them. "Did I miss something?"

"The Founders' Court! You know, Miss Mystic Falls," she said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "They just posted the announcement and we made it!"

"Oh, my God!" Elena mustered enough excitement to exclaim, leaving Abigail as the only speechless person in the hallway. "We signed up for that so long ago. I completely forgot."

Hopefully, Caroline asked, "So, are you dropping out then?"

"I can't."

Caroline looked at Abigail, taking one sister's answer for the other. "No?"

Painfully wishing for the ability to get through the sentence without her voice wavering, Abigail said, "Our mom always wanted us to enter."

"Yeah, she was really into this Founders' Day stuff." Elena smiled fondly at the memory. "I want to do it for her."

There was a persistent ache in Abigail's chest as preparations for the Miss Mystic Falls pageant went underway: finding a dress, preparing for her interview, acquiring an escort. She kept in mind everything her mom would have wanted, saying it to herself as if she were there. And that was the only thing getting her through it all.