Dangerous Liaisons

"Elijah undaggered them all?"

"Yup," Damon droned.

"It was a smart move," Stefan said, "to undagger him first."

"Wow, actual acknowledgement of a job well done. You're going soft, Stefan."

Elena rounded into the kitchen with her phone clutched in her hand. "It was their mother Esther who was sealed in that coffin. As in the Original Witch."

"What? How is she even alive?" Damon stared at her with wide eyes. "Thought her hybrid freak show of a son ripped her heart out a thousand years ago."

Abigail gripped the side of the counter. "I'm guessing she has a couple connections in the witch community."

"Elijah said that she wants to live in peace with her family. Including Klaus."

Stefan turned away from the front window. "She was supposed to be the weapon to help us kill Klaus."

"Well, not anymore... at least not according to Elijah."

Damon pressed his lips together. "Anyone else feeling a little used right now?"

"Look, Elijah promised me that his family wouldn't hurt any of us." The doorbell rang. "I believe him."

Abigail came back with two envelopes.

Damon asked, "What are those?"

"Invitations." She pulled a card from the envelope with her name written intricately on the front. "'Please join the Mikaelson Family, this evening at seven o'clock. For dancing, cocktails, and celebration.'"

Stefan furrowed his eyebrows. "Who the hell are the Mikaelsons?"

"The Original Family."

"It's not bad enough they're moving into town?" Damon asked. "Now they want a housewarming gift?"

"There's a note on the back of mine... 'Elena, I think it's time that we finally meet. Esther.'" She took a shaky breath. "If Esther wants to talk to me, maybe I should find out why."

"That's a dumb idea, she already tried to kill you once."

"No, Elena is right." Stefan moved to the other side of her. "Bonnie was led to open that coffin for a reason. I think there is more to this than just some family reunion."

"Can we go back in time where the old Stefan cared if Elena lived or died?"

"What for?" He clenched his jaw. "It's your job now."

"You tried to drive her off of Wickery Bridge, so, yeah, it is." Abigail crossed her arms over her chest. "We need to know what she wants."

"Have you lost your mind?" Damon yelled. "She can't protect herself!"

"I'm not saying she should have to!"

"I'll go."

"You've pissed off enough Originals to last a lifetime, brother. I'll go." Damon snatched the invitation out of Elena's hand. "End of story."

Caroline looked around at all of the garment bags draped over chairs in the Grill. "The Originals are throwing a ball. Like an actual ball. It's some twisted Cinderella fetish. And why does the Evil Witch want an audience with you?"

"I have no idea." Elena slumped into her chair. "There's only one way to find out."

Abigail glanced sideways at her. "Then why did you tell Damon and Stefan that you weren't going?"

"Because I can't deal with either of the Salvatores right now." She shook her head. "Whatever Stefan is feeling, he is channeling it all against Klaus. And Damon... it's just not a good idea. All I do know is that it used to be so much easier."