~ 4 ~

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when Nyx walked out of the canteen to tend to his business. Yu Yan glanced around at everybody. Apparently, he was back to being his busy unsociable self. Yu Yan paid it no mind and was about to go back to reading his book when he saw a certain someone staring at him undisguisedly.

A look of displeasure instantly flashed on Yu Yan's face. He raised his square portable metallic screen where he was reading, and blocked his sight. There are simply some people you tend to get annoyed with at the first perception for no reason.

Though try as Yu Yan may to ignore, the other person refused to cooperate and directly sat in front of Yu Yan.

"What do you want?" Yu Yan never spared him a look.

"How did you do it, how'd you get the Captain to let you stay?"

Yu Yan glanced at him and nearly rolled his eyes. He focused on reading.

"Oi, are you listening?" Kenji raised his voice and kept repeating until the other person responded.

"Can I not listen?" Yu Yan moodily answered, earning a smirk from Kenji.

This seemed to trigger a few onlookers as they also came closer with the intentions of chatting with Yu Yan. 

"Hey, kid. What're you reading?"

"Something I apparently won't be able to understand anyways, so I might as well put it away", Yu Yan replied with a sigh as he turned the screen off and folded it before putting it in his pocket. He didn't have his own terminal so he had to make do with such a gadget but he was more than happy when Captain gave it to him. After all, he was someone who came from a world where vacuum tubes didn't even exist yet. His love for all things electronics had started to blossom from the day he saw Captain disarm that mercenary.

A few laughed as they crowded around Yu Yan and sat around him. It was rare for the Captain not to be around his kid lately. They were quite curious about this rookie that the Captain himself brought back to their ship.

"What's you're name kid?"

"Yu Yan."

"Where you from?"

Somebody cut in at the same time with a loud voice, "Are you really Captain's secret love child?"

Yu Yan raised a brow at this. He remembered this loud person that pissed the Captain off. He placed his elbow on the table and rested his head on his knuckles, pretending to deeply contemplate before answering.

"It's a secret." Yu Yan gave an indulgent smile, which amused the crew. This kid was clearly way younger than them but the charm and the mature vibes he gave off seemed to fit someone a lot older.

"This cocky kid", the loud man bellowed in laughter.

"Hold on, Quinn. He hasn't answered my question yet!" Kenji was pushed back earlier and so he squeezed himself back into the circle of muscular men, but the biceps had him struggling for air, much less reach the front of the table.

Quinn paid him no mind and continued to converse with Yu Yan.

"Let's have a bet! If I win, you tell us your secret and if you win, you can make Kenji do whatever the heck you want." Quinn grabbed ahold of Kenji's neck which suprised the struggling latter.

More and more people gathered until everyone was so rowdy. Pretty soon, everyone but a handful of people like the Captain was present in the canteen. But Yu Yan wasn't bothered. He thrived in this chaos.

"Then what do you want to bet with?"

Quinn saw the competitive glint in Yu Yan eyes and liked the kid even more. Who cares if he's the Cap's secret love child? In Quinn's opinion, this kid was made to be a pirate!