Chapter 1

"You're trespassing on pack land. State your business or get out, rogue," Jamie slowly opened one eye to examine the man that had spoken. By the tone of his voice, he didn't like rogues. He practically spit the word out as if it physically pained him to say it.

A quick once over of the guy was enough to let Jamie decide that she didn't like him. She could easily get past bad first impressions, but she found him about as attractive as a hairless cat. He had plain brown eyes and ragged hair that apparently couldn't decide whether it was black or just really greasy. Both of which made him look even paler than he actually was. The only things he had going for him was his height and not entirely stocky build. Bottom line, she could care less about his opinion because she'd never see his ass again after today.

The man with scrappy already had a lot more going for him by being quiet for this long. He simply watched as Jamie sat up slowly, while his partner visibly tensed, "I'm just passing through, feel free to tell your alpha that. Before you ask, no I don't plan on terrorizing your friends and family on the way. Escort me through your lands if you want, but I'd prefer if you didn't try to kill me."

Scrappy scoffed, "Yeah right," He practically snarled, and his partner put a hand on his shoulder in warning. With another scoff, he reluctantly looked off to the side, his eyes glazing over slightly as he mind-linked their alpha.

The quiet one, who she had yet to nickname, finally spoke up, "I'm Christopher, most people call me Chris. This delightful man standing next to me is Braxton, he has a bit of a temper," Chris offered her a hand.

She took it after a moment, allowing him to help her up, "Jamie. You obviously have no problem with rogues, so any idea what crawled up his ass and died?" Chris snickers lightly.

"Most wolves have a problem with rogues, shouldn't you be used to it?" He asks, ignoring the obvious "what are you doing?" look Braxton was sending him.

"Haven't been a rogue long enough to be used to it," She answers vaguely.

"Alpha Mason wants us to bring her to the lake so he can talk to her," Braxton tells Chris as if she wasn't right there, "And if there's a problem with that I've been given permission to kill you myself," He growled in a way that Jamie imagined was threatening to some people, even though she thought it felt more patronizing than anything.

"Got it, you're the strongest chihuahua in the pet shop," She shoots finger guns at him and begins walking further into the territory, finding the dramatic flare of the gesture to be worth the embarrassment of getting lost.

In hindsight it probably would've been funnier to see his face when she said that, because at the moment he looked both confused and angry, like he couldn't decide if he should be insulted or not. Perhaps he was a bit slower mentally than she first assumed. That's probably for the best, if he could actually understand all her insults she probably wouldn't make it to their lake in one piece. In a move that was so obviously a grab for at least some control, Braxton quickly gets in front of her and starts heading towards the lake. Chris stays back a couple steps just in case she decides to run and either of them worry that she'll go on a murdering spree.

After a couple minutes or so Jamie gets sick of the silence between them and speaks up, "Does your alpha usually kill rogues?"

"Why do you ask?" Braxton replies suspiciously, casting a glare over his shoulder at her.

"It's in my nature to steer clear of death traps," She answers with a mock-serious face.

At least the sarcasm wasn't lost on Braxton, so he may not be hopeless after all, "How very surprising."

"To answer your question it depends," Chris pipes up, having decided to stop the conversation before someone threw a punch, "If a rogue is hostile or insane then they'll most likely be killed, Alpha Mason sees it as putting them out of their misery. He'll ask you some questions, and if those go fine he'll probably let you through," He explains.

There it is, that godforsaken word. 'Probably'. Jamie would be a hypocrite if she said that she hated that word, because she still uses it. She just doesn't like hearing it. That word implies that a person is making a promise, and promises typically aren't supposed to be broken. Yet, every time someone uses that word around her it ends in disappointment. More specifically her disappointment. Hopefully that'd work in her favor if she convinced the universe that she would be so upset if she lived past today.

The lake was, admittedly, much more scenic than she would have thought. For one it was big, and there were no trees obscuring the water, allowing it to practically sparkle under the sunlight. There was a bit of sand surrounding the water for as far as Jamie could see, almost like a beach. There was even a small dock that she was sure wolf pups spent hours jumping off of in the summer.

At the moment, a few assorted pack members were having a small cookout. One man appeared to be fishing, a woman seated next to him, probably his mate. A few pairs were gathered around the man that was actually doing the grilling. They all looked remarkably calm considering they now had a rogue on their land, at least calmer than Jamie would have assumed they would be. In actuality they just had a lot of experience with rogues, and since Chris and Braxton had yet to report any problems they saw no reason to ruin their nice day.

One of the men near the grill took notice of them first, quickly followed by everyone else once they caught Jamie's scent. She was willing to bet that he was the alpha. It was a shame she didn't really have anyone to bet against since she was right. He made his way over, managing to look both carefree and intimidating at the same time.

"Hi, I'm Alpha Mason Daniels. Why don't you take a seat?"

A/N: Decided to post this today as well to help get it going, also to say that I'll only be updating every other day for time and sanity reasons