Chapter 26

One mistake. That was all it'd take to provide Jamie a means for escape. Whether it be a bobby pin falling from Jenny's pointlessly styled hair that seemed to barely cooperate, or having one of them leave the keys in the door, she couldn't care less. The means didn't matter, it was their inevitable mistake that would.

And, it just so happened, that uncontrollable rage made Marcus painfully unaware of his surroundings. So, in between the hits he threw, most of which she responded to with a colorful insult about his family and or heritage, she managed to slip the key ring away from him and under her.

The trick was to grab at him, begging shamelessly for it to stop before she looked as horrible as Katey did after Jamie had kicked the shit out of her. This just pissed him off more, so he failed to notice how close her right hand was to his keys. When he smacked her away, she let her body turn to the side with the force of it, silently setting the keys down before pushing herself up and moving away slightly so she was sitting down on them.

With one wrist chained to the wall, it seemed unlikely that he would pick her up and her leggings didn't have pockets, so this was the best option. Then again, she had never really been held captive by people that planned on killing her before, so she could be wrong. The closest she had gotten was when this crazed rogue took her when she was out on a run and tried to use her to negotiate his way into the pack. He wasn't as mentally sound as he thought though, because he brought her into the territory, knife at the ready. Apparently, his "perfect" plan never accounted for the idea that the pack of wolves could just surround him, since there were a ton of them and one of him. All she had to do was duck when he tried to get rid of her, so he wouldn't completely lose, and he was screwed.

"Wow, I didn't think it was possible for someone to hit weaker than Katey," Her clever comment was rewarded with another punch, "Your fists are like cotton balls!" Apparently that was the wrong response, because he only hit her harder. A tooth might have even come loose. She couldn't really tell; her face had gotten too numb to tell.

"D-dad?" Jamie couldn't see Lissy, but that was probably for the best because it meant that she couldn't see her either. Her face would probably scare the girl right now.

Marcus immediately calmed himself down enough to keep from shouting at her, and moved between Jamie and the bars. So, he did care about not scaring his child after all. Well, not enough to avoid kidnapping and torturing someone while that child was in walking distance but it was still more than she had expected of him.

"Hey sweetie, what are you doing down here?" He asked gently, and Jamie resisted the urge to burst out into laughter. That probably wouldn't end well for Lissy's mental health and Jamie's incredibly bruised ribs.

"Mom wants to talk to you," She said quietly, "She was talking to someone on the phone though so she asked if I could get you."

"Okay, if she asks, tell her I'll be up in a minute," He smiles down at her, waiting for her to get out of earshot. Once she was, he turned back to Jamie, "Consider yourself lucky."

Lucky? That was almost as laughable as Jenny's height. She looked down at herself, "If this is lucky, then you must be incredibly unfortunate."

He growled, but didn't dignify her very true statement with an actual response. It looked like he was actually learning. Damn. She was hoping to have a bit more fun before he realized it wasn't worth it to argue with her. There's only so many fun things you can do while being held captive, and if she couldn't piss him off to the same extent anymore, then her list of fun things to do was severely shortened. The only thing left on that list would be escape, unless she gets any other great ideas.

Escape it is then, she thought with a smirk. Because they had been kicked out of Drenden Pack, Jenny probably wasn't on the phone with anyone that Jamie would care about, so she could avoid them all together. If it was possible they were talking to Ryder, or their former alpha though, stopping by and mentioning that these crazy bastards kidnapped her wouldn't be the worst idea.

As soon as she heard the door close, whether it was attached to an actual house or led outside she couldn't be sure, she unlocked the silver chain. In a way, it was the worst part about today's torture, especially with Artemis back. It brought a constant, searing pain that became harder to ignore the longer she was in contact with it. She examined her wrist, frowning at the red welts that had formed. But, she couldn't focus on those for long if she planned on getting out of here without saying goodbye to Marcus, Jenny, and Lissy.

Jamie already knew which key unlocked the chains, so between the other three keys it didn't take long to unlock the door. Although, she did get a couple small burns from the bars when reaching for the lock. Those would all heal soon enough, so she wasn't too concerned about them. What she was worried about was what to do from here. There was only one way out, and for all she knew it led directly to the place Marcus and Jenny were talking.

Choosing to shoot her shot instead of being cautious like most people probably would, she crept up the stairs as silently as possible and listened. For a while she didn't hear anything, but eventually, the sound of a bird chirping reached her ears. The door led outside. Marcus and Jenny were talking somewhere, probably inside because they must have somewhere to stay. She could really do this, and her only regret would be not insulting Jenny's height to her face.

A/N: Predictions as to what will happen next anyone? I'd like to think my book isn't entirely basic and cliché XD