Chapter 18

"I do," Ryder shamelessly admits without hesitation.

Jamie's face turned an even brighter red at his words from behind the menu, and she was infinitely grateful to have it. That waitress may have been staring at her mate like a well-done steak, but at least she did her job. Well, kind of; their orders still hadn't been taken. The bitch was too busy talking up one of her coworkers, who actually seemed to be buying into it. She almost felt bad for the guy, but he was practically asking for it if he didn't notice what type of person she is. Or maybe they're both whores, in which case then they deserve each other.

Before Ryder could try to start up another conversation, a different waitress came over to get their orders. One might assume she was just being polite and noticed that the other girl wasn't doing her job, but in reality she wanted more tips. It helped that her own section was practically empty and she only made minimum wage. So long as the prick didn't try to take credit and her tip then it would be worth it.

"Hi, my name is April and I'll be filling in for Gwen since she apparently has better things to do," She not-so-subtly glares over at Gwen, "So what would you two like today?"

"I'll have the classic hamburger and onion rings please," Ryder tells her, adding water to his order when she asks if he wants a drink.

April turns her attention to Jamie, "Can I get the three piece chicken tenders and fries? With Diet Coke to drink," The waitress smiles and nods, writing it down as well. She skates off ungracefully, having to stick a hand out to keep from running into the counter.

"Chicken tenders? Really?" Ryder asks, unable to hold back his laughter.

"Yeah, is there a problem with that?" She asks calmly, leaning back against the booth with her arms crossed, "Chicken tenders are great, and if they had ones shaped like dinosaurs I would have ordered those," She admits, apparently not giving a damn that she ordered off the kid's section of the menu. If they had a problem with her ordering it, then they should have specified an age limit.

He puts his hands up defensively, "Not at all, I was just surprised. Most people are too proud to order a kid's meal once they pass the age of fifteen."

"That's because most people cower before the will of society," She argued ominously, not bothering to elaborate as April brought out their drinks.

"Right..." He agrees hesitantly, "So, is there anything you want to ask me, like about the pack or me?"

"Uh," She chugged down a bit of her drink while thinking of some questions, "If I decide to stick around I'll have to become the next luna, right?" He nods, "Damn."

His eyes widened slightly. Most of the girls in his pack that had tried to get with him had quite obviously been in it for the power, actually being mated to him was secondary. As nice as it was to have the reassurance that she wouldn't use him, he wished she sounded more excited. Honestly he'd be glad at even the slightest indication that she'd choose to stay.

"If it would help I'm sure my dad isn't in any rush to hand off his position to me. Also you wouldn't have to do a ton of work if you don't want," He points out, a little too quickly to sound as confident as he had planned.

"It's not the work that I don't like," She paused, "That came out wrong. I hate work but that's not the problem. Being a luna is a lot of responsibility and, in case it wasn't obvious, I'm not a very accountable person," Her literally running away from the commitment that she knew would come with having a mate and being the future leader of a pack should have made that much clear.

He shrugs, "I don't know a ton about your past but I can assure you that being in charge isn't as hard as it used to be. A lot of the finance stuff and training I can pin on Chris, who is gonna be my beta, and most of the other paperwork is going to be my responsibility. You're pretty much free to do whatever you want, so long as it's not illegal or harmful to the pack."

Admittedly, it did help to know she wouldn't be forced into becoming some motherly figure to a bunch of strangers. Yes, most of them would still look up to her in a way that made her uncomfortable, because she would most likely lose their adoration, but at least she didn't have to babysit all the kids or cook for an entire pack. That sort of job would end with children crying and a burning kitchen.

They stopped the werewolf talk when April brought out their food, both thanking her politely. No matter the situation, revealing themselves to a strange human wasn't a good idea. Ryder was the one to strike up the conversation again, thinking that it's only fair that he gets to ask her something now.

"What was your old pack like?" She raised an eyebrow at him before returning to her food, "Did you have any friends? A family?" He noticed that she didn't seem all that bothered about being kicked out, so maybe she had a dark past to open up about? Well, hopefully not too dark otherwise she'd probably shut him out further for even asking.

"Didn't have any good friends," She replied, "And my family wasn't much better. They all hopped on the 'I hate Jamie' train after, y'know," Saying the word murder in a public place would most definitely draw some unwanted attention.

He frowned, "They didn't listen to your side? Even your siblings?"

"I don't have any siblings," She shrugged it off, "And everyone else there were petty suck-ups, so I say good riddance!" She raises a chicken tender in a toasting motion before taking a large bite out of it.

A small smile crosses his features, "Good riddance indeed," He said quietly. 

A/N: Anyone else getting kinda creepy vibes from Ryder's final line? Obviously, I know he means well but it does sound a little too relieved