Chapter 22

A horrible scent was what greeted Jamie, and she almost wished that she could stay unconscious. Then again, she wanted to get away from that putrid smell as soon as possible, and she hated being held captive. She opened one eye, taking in the dirty floor and walls, the metal bars that were probably made of silver, and the handcuffs attached to one wall. Yep, definitely being held captive.

That's quite unfortunate for her kidnappers, she tended to be a very irritating hostage.

The scent was probably from the old crimson substance that had long since dried up on the wall with the handcuffs. Whoever it was had done this before, which would make getting out much harder than she would have liked. There was always the chance that anyone else that had been in this cell escaped, and that the dried blood was from one of her captors, but she suspected that wasn't the case. Even still, it was fun to imagine some big scary werewolf getting his head bashed in by someone in chains.

"Oh, good, you're up," A sarcastically friendly voice said, drawing her attention to the bars. The person standing there was a middle-aged man with graying hair. He was the type of guy that your parents would stare at suspiciously when you passed them in the store, pulling you closer as they did.

"I wish I could share your enthusiasm," She comments, not bothering to sit up. Some would consider her position to be submissive, others would find it offensive. Alpha Mason, for example, refused to kill her when she was facing her death in such a childish manner. For the sake of Jamie's pride and life, she hoped he saw it the same way.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be much more attentive when the rest of my family arrives," So he probably wasn't a rapist, but cultist was still on the table, "You have only met my daughter," He must be talking about that little girl, Jamie observed, "Katelyn," Or not.

Jamie has always associated that name with one person, despite it being a fairly common name. The only person she ever met with that name was the girl that she murdered, the one she knew was going to get her entire pack killed. So, she was probably in the prisons of Katelyn's old pack. It looks like they planned on avenging their little spy, if the cold smile he was giving her was any indication.

"So you're the rat bastard that thought it'd be a good idea to send someone to infiltrate my old pack?" She almost laughed, but actually pissing him off probably wouldn't end well for her.

He completely ignored her question, "Y'know, she told us about you. She told us that you were getting suspicious, the only one getting suspicious of her. She tried to befriend you, and when that didn't work she studied you. She learned your routine. She mentioned during one of our meet-ups that you had been messing around with scent blockers..." Jamie froze.

That's why they had them, not to confuse the Everglade wolves, but because they knew she would be able to find them. It also happened to make the attack seem like a bigger threat than it probably was, if there was one at all. They intentionally drew their attention to the southern border, and then made their way to the west side so she'd find them there, so she'd be alone. Those sly bastards.

"Where is she?" A woman's voice interrupted Jamie's epiphany. The man gestured towards the cell he was standing by, the one she was in, and it was barely two seconds before another person entered her view. This one was short, with muted blonde hair. Upon spotting Jamie, she glared harshly, and if she looked more threatening than a kitten, Jamie might have been worried for her safety.

"May I assume you're Katelyn's mother?" Jamie asked politely, but given the atmosphere it sounded even less genuine then she planned it to.

"No, you don't get to say her name! Not after what you did!" The woman growled, and her mate had to keep her from lunging at Jamie. She would've liked to think that he didn't want her getting hurt, and was just going to use her as bait or something, but he was probably just trying to keep Katelyn's mom from getting burnt by the silver bars.

"What I did?" She decided that letting the woman fly into a rage and hurt herself would probably be the most entertaining thing that she'd get to watch here, and it would make a nice little dent of revenge she'd have to get once they decided to enact whatever violent plan they had in store for her, "Your daughter was helping prepare your pack for an attack on mine! Was I supposed to just sit by and be slaughtered with my old family? Before you answer, no, I wasn't! I was simply going to expose your little plot, but she had to go and attack me first!"

"You're lying!" The hysterical woman screeched, "You murdered my daughter in cold blood and got us kicked out of our pack!" So, she wasn't in the pack's dungeon... Good to know. That meant she'd only have to worry about these two, and possibly a couple older siblings of Katey's. Then again, there are still plenty of werewolf siblings that hate each other so she could hope for that. If not, she remembered tons of irritating things about the girl and believed herself to be quite convincing.

"Well, in case you haven't heard I've now got ties to two packs, both of which are fairly strong," The packs, not her ties to both, "Maybe one of them will recommend you to a new one."

The woman continued to growl, but turned her glare briefly onto her mate as if to say, "are you going to let her get away with that?" though it didn't look like she got the message across too well. Instead of yelling at Jamie, he simply left her sight, moving down towards either the beginning or the end of the hallway. Hopefully the beginning, seeing his mate's face if he just walked off would be priceless.

Her spirits quickly fell as he returned, this time carrying with him a large knife. Yeah, that's going to hurt, "I've always wondered how much pain a werewolf could take before passing out," He muses, "I myself have never reached that point and it's not exactly the type of question you can just ask someone. So, what do you say we hold our own little experiment?" 

A/N: So, it seems Jamie's past has come back to bite her! By the way, Marcus was the lone wolf Chelsie spotted last chapter that murdered the patrol.