Epilogue

Dark Mates
Epilogue

“Oh my God, guys, I think I’m going to cry,” Jules fanned herself. “Oh, the motherly feels…”

The girls were surrounding me as I stared at my reflection in the vanity that stood before me. This was it. I let out a shaky breath.

This girl staring right back at me… Who is she? She’s someone who’s been through so much; someone who’s lost so much. Sometimes, I don’t even know who I am anymore, but he… he’s there, all the time, to remind me who I am. He’s there to hold me in his arms when I’m scared and I don’t know what to do. He’s there when I freak out about little things like what to wear to the royal dinner to remind me I look okay in anything. He’s there, all the time, for me. Every time I turn my head, he would be there, smiling at me, kissing my forehead and helping me.

I wasn’t nervous, but I was beyond scared. I was scared was us, scared for our future. What if Demetri fall in love with another girl who’s a million more times more beautiful than I am? What if we had a big argument and didn’t make up? What if Demetri doesn’t love me anymore?

What ifs. They scare me a hell lot.

“You need to stop freaking out, Rose, and learn to love yourself,” Gina said, pulling a chair over towards me, as if reading my thoughts. “You can't love someone until you start loving you,” She smiled as she took both my hands in hers. “Demetri is one hell of a lucky bastard. Stop thinking about the bad outcomes and focus on the good ones. Like children. Demetri mentioned wanting some kids, right?”

I felt my nausea slowly residing as I reminisced the day he told me that. “Yeah,” I smiled distantly, “He wanted 3 boys and 2 girls. I told him that was a lot but he said since we can't keep our hands off each other, 5 would be little.” I chuckled lightly, remembering the night he told me this. We had snuck outside, out of the palace grounds, and to the forest. We were lying down on a grassy field beside a playground, and were looking up at the stars.

“What about names?” Gina asked softly.

My mind flashed back to that night as we stared into each other’s eyes as we laid in bed, him with his cute reading glasses on and I snuggled up in one of his old t-shirts. 

“She will be named Kanda, which means darling. And her sister shall be Agatha. It means good-hearted,” He had whispered to me as he played with my hair. “And our little boy will be named Aleixo—defender of man.  Then there’ll be Kai, meaning from the sea and Kaleb, the brave.”

“Wow,” I smiled up at him. “You’ve got it all mapped out.”

“There are a lot of things you think about when you’re alive for centuries long.” Demetri joked as he bent down and kissed my nose. I stole a kiss from him, which resulted in a bark of laughter from him. He sobered up and his mesmerizing eyes softened. “And for the centuries to come, I’ll be thinking about you, and our babies.”

My heartbeat slowed down to a normal pace. Gina smiled, leaning over and kissing my cheek. “Oh,” She said as she leaned back. “Before I forget…” She pulled out something from her cream coloured purse. She pulled out a blue pendant. “Well, it’s not much, but here. Something blue and old; I had it polished up the other day—it belonged to my mother, and my grandmother, and my great grandmother and so on.” Gina smiled as she pulled out a silver necklace. “And something new,” She pulled the necklace through the pendant. “Just called Xavier from the royal jewellery department last week to have it made.”

The pendant was beautiful. It was very detailed, with gorgeous intricate designs on it. The blue glimmered under the lights and it made me feel kind of magical. I looked at the mirror as Gina walked over to me and helped me put it on. There. I knew there was something missing. 

“It’s something borrowed. But I want you to keep it,” Gina said as she clasped it on. I touched it gently, afraid that it might break. It looked so delicate and it glowed with a magical aura, as if the pendant was made of pure starlight.

“Are you sure?” My voice broke. “This is… a lot. Don’t you want to keep it?” I asked, suddenly feeling very emotional.

“No, I want you to keep it,” Gina looked like she was about to break into tears and start bawling too. We stared at each other for a moment before she threw her arms around me and I wrapped mine around her waist.

“Aww, guys,” Jules whined as she came and joined our hug. Fanny came over and nestled her way into our embrace as well.

There are times in life where I just think: what’s the point? But there are times in life where I just feel so complete.

And it’s safe to say that the completeness you feel when everything falls into place is worth going through all the stormy days and hopeless times.

---

“I now announce you husband and wife,” The priestess cheerfully announced as the crowd of people began to clap.

Demetri didn’t waste any time and crashed his lips against mine. I shivered in content; our first kiss as husband and wife. I laughed against his lips as he dipped me down. I had told him once how I thought that was the most cliché thing I’ve ever seen.

Demetri grinned at me as we broke apart, bring me back to my feet. “You’re damn beautiful, have I told you that?”

“Maybe,” I whispered back.

“Well, you are,” Demetri said before peppering kisses over my neck and cheeks.

“Ew, Demetri, you’re like a dog,” I laughed. He hissed at me. The second he moved away from me, I had already begun to miss the gentle touch of his lips against my skin. The things he does to me…

“What did you just call me?” He asked, narrowing his eyes down at me. “Did you just call me a mutt?”

I laughed, but at the murderous look in his eyes, I started running. I kicked off my heels and started running over the freshly mowed lawn. All of a sudden, it started raining. I gasped in surprise, turning my head behind, running faster after seeing Demetri hot on my heels.

“Oh, you’re not getting away, love,” He laughed, a beautiful melody, behind me. Around us, children giggled as they began running about as well, much to their parents’ disliking.

“No, I shall—oomph!” I gasped as Demetri tackled me to the floor. He grinned cheekily down at me as I stared up at him in surprise.

“God, Demetri,” I huffed. “You just ruined my Vera Wang dress. It was very expensive.”

“Eh,” he shrugged, not bothering to move off of me. “You look good in it, but I wouldn’t mind it off either, so.”

I hit him on the arm as he laughed and kissed me. I smiled up at him, feeling content, even though the rain was ruining my makeup and hair. Above me, Demetri shook his head, sending droplets of water all around us. He kissed me again before snuggling against my neck, kissing me there as well.

I noticed what the colours splashed across the sky. I smiled. “Thanks Dad,” I whispered as Demetri inhaled against my neck. Painted across the sky was a rainbow dad had promised me.

I closed my eyes as I embraced the wind against my face, enjoying the chill running down my spine, and remembering the way the rain splattered across my face, smearing my makeup. I memorized the picture perfect moment.

Life is good. Life is perfect. You’ve just got to see through the darkness, and, somewhere amongst the seemingly bottomless abyss, you’ll find your light and your saviour.

And Demetri… my Demetri… He’s my light. He’s my saviour.

My one and only.

The End