8: Summer Rain

Dark Mates

8: Summer Rain

“Oh my God, these heels are killing me!” Dahlia exclaimed in a falsetto voice as she plopped down on the couch, obviously exhausted but still in a ladylike manner. She slipped out of her stilettos, purposefully pulling up her skirt in the process, revealing a big portion of her slim, long and tanned legs. Beside me, Scott gulped and looked, wide-eyed. I huffed.

Ugh, men.

“I’ve been twirling around all night with strangers, wanting to find at least one person with royal blood in them. There was none!” Dahlia complained as she loosened her hair and let it fall down on her back. Scott watched, mesmerized, as her hair fell down in curly locks onto her shoulders. “How about you guys? Any luck, Scott?”

“Um,” Scott said, looking up quickly, not wanting Dahlia to notice how he was staring at her long legs, probably fantasizing stuff that I don’t want to know of in his mind. He licked his lips as he recalled the question, but I didn’t miss the part where he snuck a quick glance to her legs. “Oh, um, no,” he answered, “I did see a royalty from the land of Sirens, though.”

“I didn’t find any either.” Anson claimed. Hugh nodded.

“Me too,” he said.

Dahlia sighed as she sashayed her way to her closet and slipped on a pair of in-house slippers. “Oh well, I guess later we’d have to go tell Nikki that-”

“Wait, you guys aren’t even going to ask me?” I asked in disbelief as I stood by the doorframe. For the first time that night, all of them paid me attention. Dahlia gave me a fake laugh.

“Oh, honey, it’s okay, we don’t judge. Even though you’re the supposed ‘leader’ of this mission, we know what you’re capable of. We’ll handle the situation. You don’t need to be embarrassed if you lead this mission to a dead end.”

“I’m sorry?” I said as I stood in front. “Like you said, I’m the leader of this mission, so you better listen to me, or else-”

“Yeah?” she said as she, too, took a step forward, “Or else what? What you going to do, huh?”

“This,” I growled and with a single thought, her whole body slammed backwards and against the wall. The guys gasped as Dahlia whimpered and fell on the ground, her hair sprawled all around her. A bruise was already forming on the side of her face where she’d hit the wall.

“What the actual hell, Rosea?” Scott said as he gave me an incredulous look and grabbed my arms forcibly. I grunted from his tight grip. “If you haven’t noticed yet, Dahlia is a very important role in this mission, and you might’ve killed her just now. What the hell is wrong with you?”

“Yeah, and I’m not important, huh?” I said before I roughly shook away his grip on my wrist. “Just for your information, I killed a first cousin of Prince Demetri today.” I threw the bloody dagger on the floor. I turned around and walked away.

Away from Scott. Away from Dahlia. Away from this stupid mess of a mission.

God. Boys are such a waste of time.

===

I sat beside the fountain as the sky dribbled down small droplets of water. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the windy summer air against my face and the light rain that pelted against my skin.

I haven’t been to this part of the palace before. I ran my fingers through my tangled hair and I exhaled a breath that I felt like I’ve been holding since I’ve seen Demetri’s beautiful blue eyes…