10: Spilt Blood

Dark Mates

10: Spilt Blood

Rosea

Contemplating whether I should print millions of copies of the dispensed photos and paste them all over the castle walls while lying down on my temporary bed, I stared up at the blank ceiling.

I wondered to myself over stupid things that I probably shouldn’t be thinking about. Like, what did Demetri see in Lily, like really? Was it her pretty brown locks of hair? Perhaps her special eyes that sparkles when she laughs? Or did he just truly love her, every inch of her; her smile, her laugh, her diet, her personality?

Like the way I used to be in love with him?

I wondered if he really did not care for Rose even after he realized that she was his mate; if he’d actually regretted choosing Lily instead.

Then again, I guess that’s for the best, seeing that Rose… Well, she’s long gone. And replacing her is Rosea, the Dark Xlinx.

I frowned as I rolled onto my side and stared at the bedside table, where a silver dagger sat. I grabbed it silently and sliced it in the air.

I guess that was what I was always doing.

Replacing. Replacing Lily when Demetri needed someone to confide in. Replacing Dahlia when Scott felt like choosing me instead.

Replacing Rose, because that naïve little girl had died when her heart was cruelly shattered into millions of tiny fragments.

I just didn’t know if she’ll resurface again, because it feels like she slowly is.

So I guess that’s why I have to suppress that feeling down.

=======

A consistent knocking on my window woke me up that night. Groaning as I sat up, I rubbed my eyes and wondered who it could be. My room was the third floor up, and the only window was the balcony one, and at this hour, who would climb up three stories high to a visitor’s bedroom Frowning, I tugged on the silky robe over my boy shorts and tank top.

I grabbed my silver dagger and cautiously made my way towards the opaque balcony doors, which provided privacy. Listening for any suspicious sounds with my advanced hearing, I gently grabbed the doorknob and twisted the door open.

“Oh, hey—what the hell?!” Demetri’s voice was shrilly as his eyes widened at the sight of the dagger in my hands, which were held up in a menacing position, ready to strike any time. Blushing, I immediately lowered my hand and chuckled nervously.

“Why the hell do have a dagger?” Demetri said, his voice still breathless and slightly ragged as he gave me a cautious look, holding his hands up in a surrendering motion. I ran my free hand through my hair, weaving through my knotted jet black strands and smiled apologetically.

“Heh, you see, well, this was from my… my ancestor, the first Good Xlinx of my family tree. It’s for protection, and, well, I was just panicking, wondering who would be here in the middle of the night…” I giggled awkwardly, feigning innocence as I smiled up at Demetri.

“Right,” Demetri didn’t seem too convinced, but he didn’t push the topic further as he scratched the back of his neck. “Um, sorry if I scared you. I just wanted to talk to you about the… you know…”

“About the wedding invitation that Princess Lily gave me just now? Yeah, I thought so. You know, your fiancé is such a darling,” I said, sarcasm oozing out of my voice. “God she was so annoying, talking about tea cups and braids and the newest autumn collection of Madam Tut-fee-fee or something. Like, God-”

I paused when I saw Demetri staring at me oddly. Shit I thought as I realized I was badmouthing about the future princess in front of the future prince.

Shit; what if he told Lily what I said about her?

Bye-bye invitation; hello endless yelling from Nikki.

I fiddled nervously with my fingers and chuckled. “I was… Just kidding?” I muttered out with an unsure smile on my face, my voice faint.

“Then why do you want to friends with her and come to our wedding?” Demetri said, catching me of guard. My heart froze. Why the hell did I have to open my idiotic mouth just now?

Stupid blabbermouth of mine!

“I, um,” I began, “Okay. I was, um,” quick! Think of a lie, think of a lie!! “jealous.” I blurted before I even thought about it.

Demetri looked at me and blinked. “What?” He slowly drawled out.

“I said jealous, okay?” I said, flushing. It wasn’t a complete lie. I was jealous. Jealous that Lily is the one sleeping beside him. “I’m jealous-”

I was pushed against the wall and suddenly, a pair of warm lips encased over mine, and I felt a rush of electricity jolt through me. There was a fire burning inside of me. My hands immediately rushed up to his locks and I kissed him just as passionately back.

I felt as if each movement was possessed. Like I didn’t know what I was doing. Like there was someone controlling me. But that didn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy myself. I let my hands roam freely in his hair, dangling the curls up even further.

Slowly, his warm hands came to my sides and he tugged my rope apart and pulled back, looking at my slightly underdressed body. He smiled at me before his lips joined with my parted, breathless ones again.

The rest of the night was history.

===

I woke up with a throbbing headache and a forehead beaded with trickles of cold sweat. I gulped as I remembered the nightmare; streams of blood gushing down on a white wall, spelling out the words beware.

I was naked underneath the sheets. Beside me was a still warmish spot that Demetri had lied down on. “I have some urgent matters, so I need to go,” he’d told me with a gentle kiss on my forehead before he left.

But that didn’t matter at the moment. There was an alarming voice in my head, warning me of something.

I quickly slipped into my robe as I followed my instincts. I walked down the hall and towards the last room, situated at the end of the corridor. I knocked twice, hard, on the wooden door, but when I didn’t have any response, I twisted open the doorknob, surprised to find the room unlocked. Sucking in a breath, I pushed open the door and peeked in. Then I saw the trickle of blood on the carpeted floor. Following the small droplets of blood, I ended up in front of another room. I pushed that one open too.

I nearly passed out when I saw Dahlia lying cold on the floor, in a pool of her own blood, her eyes wide open. Her own blood sat beside her in a golden chalice.

On the white wall, it was spelled out:

Beware. I’m coming for you next.

Hope you guys liked that. If you didn’t, then sorry, I think I did a not so good job either. Also, sorry that it’s really short, but a lot of stuff is happening there.