14: Easy

Dark Mates

14:

Narration

Rosea’s eyes burned with rage and fury as she pinned the girl who looked just like her against the marble floor. She bared her fangs in pure anger and clenched her fingers tightly around her clone’s neck, choking her almost to death. But no. Rosea didn’t want to kill her. Not yet.

Fuelled by jealousy, she wanted to torture her first. Then kill her. Slowly, so she could see the red blood she would bathe in before she died.

Rosea knew to use enough strength to immobilize Kaitlyn but not kill her. She was just there, hanging onto the brink, a hair’s length away from death’s embrace. The Xlinx growled at her and just by looking into her fiery eyes that were filled with so much ferocity, Kaitlyn felt like she was already facing the gates of hell. But she kept her face neutral and, instead of submitting, she sneered at Rosea, covering up her fear.

“You bitch,” Rosea’s voice was steel hard and ice cold. “That was the fucking line and you just stepped over it.”

“Get over it, Rosemarie,” Kaitlyn rolled her eyes even though she was scared shitless inside. “It’s not like Demetri even likes you. He’s going to get married soon. You’re invited. You should know.” She said matter-of-factly.

Kaitlyn’s face stung painfully when Rosea’s hand connected with her cheek while growling loudly. “You fucker,” she didn’t bother covering up the anger she felt for the girl that lay beneath her this time. “How dare you steal the last thing I have?”

“What? I thought you said you’re a strong girl? I guess you aren’t after all,” Kaitlyn flashed a sly smile at her as she taunted. Rosea pressed Kaitlyn harder against the cold tiles of the floor.

“You better pray to Jesus that I won’t skin you and burn you, alive.” Rosea hissed.

Kaitlyn actually knew where all those threats were coming from. To be honest, she knew that she was the one who set her own death trap. Having lost her mate before, she knew what it felt like when you saw your own destined one touching a woman who wasn’t you.

Kaitlyn’s parents were never exactly the best. Sure, they weren’t abusive like Rosea’s, but they didn’t care for Kaitlyn. They barely acknowledge her. Sometimes, it’s like they’ve forgotten her existence. She could go on days without having food when her parents were away for a trip without notifying her. And when she met her mate, she thought that everything was starting to look up.

Until a strange hooded man came with a knife and killed him in front of her.

She doesn’t remember how he looked. He was hidden beneath a black cloak, with the hood pulled up. A coat was around him, layering above the cloak to protect him from the bitter and icy snap of the Alaskan winter, with the collars pulled so high you couldn’t see his neck. But Kaitlyn remembered his eyes. Bright and golden, like that of a cat’s, she could never forget how they had stared as if right into her soul.

He dropped his knife when he left Kaitlyn there, gasping and sobbing for help against her beloved, in a hurry. And when Kaitlyn picked it up, still shaking with fear, she wiped away the blood and read the carved words. Enoch.

Soon after, more strange men came. One that was hidden beneath a thick dark blue hoodie kill Kaitlyn’s mother. Another who was dressed in a smart top hat pulled so low you could barely make out their face killed her father.

All left without taking their knives. All had carved words written on it. One said, Bound to Enoch, while the other said Sworn to Enoch.

And the worst thing? Kaitlyn had trusted them to let them in the house, even though she told herself that she would never be so stupid. Kaitlyn couldn’t blame them. It was her who opened the door after peeking through the peephole. It was her who invited them in, even though she had a gut feeling that something was about to go wrong.

And when Kaitlyn stumbled onto a book about witchcraft that was opened to a page that seemed to be left there on the table just for her, she knew that the man that had stolen away her everything was Enoch, and his men. For years she’s been trying to seek revenge. She thought that Rosea could be her ally, but she was wrong.

She’d trusted her, just like she had trusted all the other men.

“You wouldn’t. Enoch’s going to kill you without my help.” Kaitlyn said venomously. “I read of him. You need my knowledge.”

“You are helping me, sweetheart,” Rosea mused. She inched closer and whispered into Kaitlyn’s ears, “When I kill you, all your wisdom and power will be mine.”

Kaitlyn gulped.

What had she done to herself?

====

Enoch sat before the glass ball, his finger tapping on the smooth surface which was glowing in a shade of pink, before slowly turning into blue, and then into dark green. He sighed. How boring it was now that Rosea was gone, and so was Sean. He liked the feeling of dominating people. Knowing that people were helpless when it comes to him. He liked to play people. Play mind games. Trick them into traps.

Just like how he was going to trick Rosea into his trap that he believed was perfect and flawless.

He moved to touch the red pawn that sat on his chess board. He knocked the queen down swiftly. He smirked, knowing that without that queen, he could easily make it to the king.  

And that queen was Rosea. And the king, Demetri.

While planning ways to kill the crowned prince, he didn’t notice that his glass ball was spinning like a madman, releasing a green gas. Enoch snapped to his senses when he saw the green smoke and immediately rushed back to the ball.

“What is it?” he asked.

The green gas evaporated and the ball showed a blurry image of Rosea. Enoch’s breath hitched in his throat and he sat forward.

And then he saw Rosea picking up a sword, and pushing it into a similar girl’s heart. He gasped in surprise before grinning evilly.

It seems like he’d riled up hatred between the two so strong  that Rosea killed her own spitting image. He let out a laugh. This was getting too easy.

===

Prince Demetri woke up against a pillar, feeling as if he was hung-over. He felt as if there was an invisible hammer pounding against his head. His vision was blurry. He looked down only to realize he was in last night’s outfit. Groaning as he stood up, he wondered what had happened.

Maybe I had too much of Hurleys to drink, he thought to himself, remembering the table that was fully stored with the vampire alcohol that stood by the corner of the room. Shaking his head, he made his way back to his room.

Once in a while his throbbing headache would be too much to handle so early in the morning (according to the sun-dial clock in the royal garden which he’d passed through), and he would have to lean against the wall. Servants would ask him if anything was wrong, but he’d just shooed them off and continued his journey back to his room.

After he changed into a comfortable set of clothes he sighed and rubbed his eyes, checking his planner to see if there was anything he needed to attend. His heart stopped when he read the words scribbled on the bottom of the page, written in blood.

So hard to put ink to paper, so I decided blood would be easier. You forgot to write wedding. Have you forgotten that your wedding is in 3 days? I’ll see you then. Don’t have too much fun. I would have to kill your wife if you do.

Just kidding.

As Demetri reread the words and sucked in the unfamiliar smell of the blood, he pondered to himself.

He didn’t think that whoever wrote it was joking.

Ahhh I hope you guys enjoyed that! I liked writing it :) S’been a while since I wrote in narrative point of view. Do vote and comment if you liked that chapter or you just wanted to give feedback. Thanks to all you voters and commenters. And also to all the silent readers~!