𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞. 𝑔𝑜𝑖𝑛𝑔 ℎ𝑜𝑚𝑒. 𝐜𝐨𝐝𝐚

Word count: 2547

"𝐇𝐄𝐘, 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄?" 𝐕𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄 called as she peeked out of the window, worry growing inside of her as she saw two figures approaching in the distance.

"Yeah?" he asked as he came up to her side before he followed her gaze and looked out the window. A look of recognition came into his eyes, and he called over his shoulder, "Diego!"

"Hm?" Diego walked over to them with raised eyebrows. He squinted his eyes as he looked out the window, and he gave a nod. "Ah."

"What?" Valerie questioned as she turned to them, her eyebrows furrowed. "Who are they?"

A grin grew on Diego's face as he nodded towards the door. "Come on, Five. Let's go talk to them."

"Val." Five offered a hand to her as Diego waited at the door.

"What?" She scrunched her face as she shook her head. "I don't know them, you guys go. I'll stay here."

"No, I'm not leaving you alone." He didn't wait for her to answer as he grabbed her hand and pulled her out the door, catching up to Diego's side.

The sun was beginning to set, and the sky had turned from a pale grey to a soft pink. Most of the snow had melted, leaving damp, green grass with a few small patches of white that decorated it. It was still a little chilly, but a lot warmer than it had been when they had first arrived.

"Who are they?" Valerie repeated, looking at either boy for help.

Diego answered, "Herb and Dot."

"You have to realize that doesn't help me," she pointed out with a scoff as her eyebrows furrowed. "Give me something else."

"What else is there to say?" Diego shrugged. "Herb and Dot."

"Wha—Diego."

"From the Commission," Five murmured to her as he tightened his grip on her hand. "I worked with them when I was there."

"Okay, that's a lot better." She nodded, sending a glare to Diego, who gave her a quick wink and grin in return.

Valerie got a much better look at Herb and Dot as they approached.

Herb, the man on the left, was short and stout, wearing a large, grey overcoat, and matching hat. He had a briefcase in his gloved hand, and thin glasses rested on his nose.

Dot was much taller than him, with dark skin and a warm smile on her face. She wore a light blue coat and a small beret whose colour matched her coat, and a light brown purse was held by her wrist.

The three of them met the other two a few feet away from the house, and they came to a stop.

"Herb. Dot," Five acknowledged with a small nod.

"Hey," Herb greeted.

Dot smiled. "Hi."

"Sup, Herbie?" Diego grinned, reaching out and exchanging an intricate handshake with the much smaller man.

"Hey!" Herb chuckled. "My man."

"All good?" Diego questioned.

"Good to see you guys." Herb grinned, blowing air out of his mouth to finish off the handshake. He sighed, his expression becoming more serious. "I can't believe it. Is she . . . ?" He didn't finish his sentence, rather just dragging his hand over his throat to indicate his thoughts.

"Really dead this time?" Five finished his sentence with an amused smile.

"Oh, yeah," Diego confirmed.