𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. 𝑎 𝑙𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 𝑠𝑢𝑝𝑝𝑒𝑟

Word count: 3024

𝐕𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 stood outside of a building, where the name 'SOUTHLAND LIFE' was stated in glowing, blue letters. The building was towering—the top went to at least fifty feet.

Five took the card out of his pocket and unfolded it, his eyes scanning over the message once more.

"You sure this is the place?" he murmured to Valerie.

She nodded. "Mhm."

"Okay." He took a deep breath as he looked at the building. "Let's go."

He threaded his fingers through hers and guided her inside the building.

The main foyer was well lit, the ceilings being only long panels of light. Ahead of them was a twin set of black stairs, each step sleek, which they climbed up. They walked towards the elevator, and Valerie admired the large, vibrant flowers that had been painted on the beige wall.

Five pressed the elevator button, which then glowed blue. After a few moments, a ding rang through the air, and the doors opened to reveal an empty elevator, with striped brown walls.

They stepped inside, and Five used his free hand to press the button to the floor they were heading to. The other hand tightened around hers.

The doors began to close just before a hand clutched onto it, and they opened once more.

Diego entered, before being followed by Allison, Klaus, Vanya, then Luther.

"Good," Five remarked. "We're all here."

They all watched nervously as the elevator went up each floor, and listened to the small ding that came with it.

Suddenly, Luther gave a small grunt. Then, the smell hit them.

"Luther!" Klaus groaned as they all covered their noses.

"Sorry," Luther mumbled sheepishly, his gaze lowered, "I'm nervous."

As soon as the doors opened, everyone rushed out, eager to breathe in the fresh air.

"Nasty. I'm choking!" Klaus exclaimed as he got out.

The room they entered was one of a restaurant—namely, the 'Tiki Lounge,' according to the wooden sign at the top. It was island-themed, with brightly decorated round tables, and decorations of a tiki hut surrounding them.

"All right, when Dad gets here, I'll do the talking, okay?" Five said as he walked to the table in the middle, which, judging by the eight chairs, was meant for them.

"Nuh-uh, I don't trust you with talking," Valerie immediately said, instantly being reminded of all the times with Mr. Biggs and Elliott. "I'll do the talking."

"Got a few questions for him myself," Diego muttered as he and the rest walked toward them.

"Hey, we don't wanna scare him off," Valerie responded, shaking her head. "He might be able to help us stop the apocalypse and get us home."

"No, we need to figure out why he's planning to kill the president," Diego insisted, causing her to give a deep sigh.

"This is a matter of life and death, you imbecile!" Five leaned his hands against the table as he stared daggers at Diego.

"Okay, yeah, maybe we should take turns talking. Yeah?" Vanya suggested. She then picked up an orange-and-white conch shell from the table next to her and held it up for them to see. "Here, whoever has got this conch shell gets to talk."

Five looked at her, shaking his head. "Vanya, we don't have time for a debate, okay?"

"Maybe I should lead." Allison took the conch shell from Vanya and stood in front of the table. "We all know I'm a better public speaker than the rest."