Chapter Ten: The Burned One

We all stopped walking when we finally reached the barn. We looked at each other before beginning to walk closer to it. Now, it was just me, Stella, Bloom and Aisha. Bloom then hesitated before pulling the barn door open and we all frowned as we looked inside. "It's not here." Bloom said.
"They've taken it already. Look." Aisha frowned as she approached a wooden pole in the ground with chains lying beneath it.
"No." Stella gasped. "No, no. My mum's going to kill me."
"Guys! We've got a problem!" Terra called from outside of the barn. 

I followed Stella and Aisha outside and we approached the two other girls before Musa pointed. Several members of Solaria's military were dead and lying all over the floor of the forest. "The burned one." Terra said.
"It's still here somewhere." Stella added. The frown on my face then curved more.
"Wait. Is that Mr Silva?" I asked as I pointed to a man leaning against a tree, holding his wounds. He seemed to be the only one left alive.
"Where's Bloom?" Aisha then asked. "Bloom!" Aisha then ran off, back to the barn.
"Right. We'll look after Mr Silva. You two and Aisha go and find Bloom." Terra told me and Stella.

Me and Stella reached the barn to find Aisha. "She's gone." She told us.
"Where the hell could she have gone?" I asked.
"Out there." Stella said as she pointed to another door. "That door's open." Me and Aisha nodded and we left the barn again before walking back out into the woods.
"BLOOM!" We all shouted one at a time.

"Hurry up, Stella." I said as the girl started to fall behind.
"It's gonna get dark." She complained.
"So your magic's useful after all." Aisha told her. "Come on. Turn it on." Stella then snapped her fingers but nothing happened. She tried again. Still nothing. "Seriously?"
"Just hang in a second." Stella said.
"We don't have time for this. Just go back to the school and get help." Aisha told her before grabbing my arm and pulling me along.
"Do you think that was a good idea?" I asked the girl. "Leaving Stella out here on her own when the burned one is still around?"
"She'll be fine." Aisha told me. "It's Bloom I'm worried about."

We continued to walk for what seemed like ages. "Hey, did you hear that?" I asked.
"Hear what?" Aisha questioned.
"And is that... is that smoke?"
"Bloom!" Aisha exclaimed before we began to run through the forest. In the distance I could see a trail of fire growing closer and closer. Aisha bent down and touched the ground before slowly rising and pushing her arms forward. Water came out of the ground and put the fire out. It wasn't until the water had fallen that I noticed the burned one standing beside Bloom. I didn't even need to think before raising my right hand forward and shooting a long, sharp icicle at the burned one. It went straight through its chest and into a tree behind it.

"Bloom, are you okay?" I asked the redhead as I panted.
"Yeah." Bloom said shakily.
"Is it dead?" Aisha questioned.
"I think so."
"And I'll admit, you had more control than I thought you would."
"Is that a compliment? You're complimenting me right now?"
"Let's just get Stella's ring." I told the girls as we stepped closer towards the burned one.
"Where is it?" Aisha asked as we began to examine it.
"I think... I think it's right there. I think it stuck it inside itself." Bloom frowned with disgust.
"So, who's gonna...?" I asked, looking at where the ring was.
"I'm not." Aisha said, quickly. Bloom then looked at me.
"You're the one who lost it." I told her as I put my hands up. Bloom sighed and nodded before reaching forward. "Besides I did my part. I killed it."
"I thought it was so impressive, maybe you'd wanna finish this job."
"No, this ones all you." I said.

Bloom frowned even more as she placed her fingers on the burned one's body. She then began to bury her fingers inside in order to pull Stella's ring out. As she did, I could hear squelching which made me gag. "Thank god." Bloom then sighed when she got the ring out of it. "Come on, let's go."

***

"What the hell were you thinking?" Miss Dowling asked me as she entered my bedroom.
"I was thinking that thing killed my girlfriend." I told the woman.
"You could've gotten yourself hurt."
"Well, I'm fine."
"Mr Silva's going to be okay."
"Well, then... I guess that's another thing we should be grateful for. I mean, if we weren't out in the forest, the burned one would probably still be alive and Mr Silva would probably be dead."
"You haven't cried." Farah then frowned.
"What?"
"When I told you that your friend was dead, you didn't cry."
"What do you expect me to do?" I questioned. "Shed a little tear every time something goes wrong in my life?"
"It's okay to be upset, you know."
"What if I don't want to be?" I shouted. "What if I just want to move on with my life?"
"Then that's okay, too." Farah said, softly.
"I actually think I'm gonna go to bed." I then told her. She nodded and gave me a smile.
"We'll talk tomorrow."

Miss Dowling then left and I followed not long after to find Stella talking to Aisha and Bloom. "Did you get my ring?" Stella was asking Bloom. Bloom nodded and reached into her pocket before handing the ring to the girl.
"You have no idea what I had to do to get this, but-" She said.
"Yeah, now about we never talk about this day ever again?" Stella suggested before walking into our room as Sky entered our suite.
"Hey, are you okay?" He asked me as he pulled me into a hug. I nodded as I pulled back.
"I think so." I said. He then turned to Bloom and the two smiled at each other. Sky then opened his mouth to talk but he was interrupted.
"Sky?" Stella asked from the doorway. Sky looked over at her and took a deep breath before following her and shutting the door behind them.
"Great." I muttered. "Now, where the hell am I supposed to sleep?"
"I have a spare blanket if you want to take the couch?" Bloom asked me.
"Thanks." I smiled as the girl entered her room.
"Oh, did you hear about that student that got killed by the burned thing last night?" Aisha then asked me.
"Yeah." I frowned. "Yeah, I did. I knew her."
"I am so sorry. I didn't know."
"We, uh, dated over the summer. Some part of me believed that we would actually get back together." I laughed.
"Here you are." Bloom then smiled as she handed me a blanket.
"Thank you." I told her before putting the blanket down on the sofa. "I think I'm, uh, gonna go out for a bit. Get some fresh air, you know?"
"Yeah, sure." Bloom and Aisha said before going into their room as I left the suite.

I made my way over to the specialists hall heifer knocking on one of the dorm rooms. I then waited for the door to open and Riven was stood there half asleep with no shirt on. "I'm sorry if I woke you." I frowned. "I just had nowhere else to go." I finished before bursting into tears. I then felt his arms wrap around me before he shut the door and I continued to cry into his chest.