Chapter Thirteen: The Yearbook

"Hi, Terra." I smiled as I joined the lunch queue behind her and a specialist. "Dane, right?"
"Yeah." The boy smiled.
"I'm Eira."
"I know. You're friends with Riv, right?" I nodded.
"SO GET OFF OF ME, YOU MASSIVE PEDO!" I turned my head to see Beatrix walking away from Miss Dowling's assistant as Riven approached her. They put an arm around each other as they kept walking and Riven put an apple in his mouth before letting Beatrix take a bite.
"Ugh." I scoffed quietly.
"Did they just share an apple?" Terra questioned. "That's so weird."
"I know right." Dane said. "Apparently, she's also a huge nerd. In between bong rips, she can recite the entire history of the Otherworld."
"Her?" I questioned. "No way."
"Riven has questionable taste." Terra said.
"Maybe. Although I kind of think they're not terrible." Dane admitted as me and Terra got our food from the dinner lady. "Plus they invited me to the party tonight."
"What?" Terra asked.
"The senior specialists party." Dane then explained.
"I know what it is. They do it every year. It's... a mess."
"Does that mean you're not going?"
"Maybe. And... just going to, erm... probably see what the vibe is." Terra said, nervously.
"You should come." Dane smiled. "Maybe I'll see you tonight."

Dane then walked off and me and Terra began to search for Musa and Bloom. "You like him, don't you?" I asked the girl.
"What? No. No, I don't. Why would you even think that?" Terra replied nervously. I just laughed as we sat down at the table. "I have a question." Terra then said. "Since when was it cool to be a nerd?"
"We're still on this?" I asked.
"Yes... I mean, don't get me wrong. It's great. Amazing. Power to the nerds. But, like, now it's cool to talk about fairy history?"
"What?" Bloom asked.
"Well, like, you know... I like school. I like getting good grades and reading alone with a cup of chamomile, but you don't see anyone sharing a frickin' apple with me, even though... gross."
"We're gonna need so much more context." Musa said as she and Bloom laughed.
"Beatrix." I stated.
"I don't get what the difference is between her and me." Terra admitted. "Why's it working for her?" Musa's eyes then turned pink before she stood up.
"I have to go." She said before leaving.

I followed Musa with my eyes for a second and she ran right up to Sam. She hadn't currently told Terra that she was dating her brother because she was scared about how Terra would react to it. "It's okay. I know why, really." Terra frowned. "It's because she drinks and smoked and looks like her, and I'm... sorry. Sorry. How are you?" She then asked Bloom. "How is the search for the memory lady?"
"Stalling." Bloom said. "Does your dad happen to have any old yearbooks?"
"Maybe. I think I'll have to get them myself, though." Terra said. "He's been really busy with Silva. I don't want to bother him."

Out the corner of my eye, I then saw Sky leaving the canteen. "I've gotta go." I told Terra and Bloom. "But, I will see you later." I then went to follow Sky He entered the greenhouse and I waited outside for him. When he left he looked both upset and angry. "Sky." I said, gaining his attention. "How is he? Really?"
"It's not looking good, Eira." He frowned. "He's talking about what he wants for my future. He's preparing me for the worst."
"How long?" I asked. "How long does he have?"
"Not long." A tear then fell down his cheek and I frowned as I pulled the boy into a hug.
"They're gonna find it, Sky." I reassured him. "Everyone's out looking for it."
"I just hope they find it in time." Sky said.

***

"I got your text." I told Bloom as I entered her room. "Any luck with the yearbooks?"
"No." Bloom frowned. "My memory's starting to fade. It's getting harder and harder to remember what she looked like."
"Surely there's got to be something." I said.
"If there is it's not in here." The girl sighed before closing the book and giving it to me. "You try. Maybe you can find out what your parents looks like or something."
"Thanks." I said as I took the book.
"Does anyone know how to do a good cat eye?" Terra called from the bathroom. 

Me, Bloom and Aisha entered the bathroom to find Terra looking in the mirror with black smudged around her eyes. "I've done, like, 50 tutorials and this is what I get." She told us, sounding stressed. "What does Huda Kattan have that I don't?"
"Uh, talent." Aisha said.
"Taste." Bloom told her.
"Style." I added.
"Millions of followers."
"Why are none of you getting ready for the party?" Terra then asked us.
"I just walked in." I said. "I don't know what their excuses are, though."
"I have to study." Aisha claimed.
"I have a full-" Bloom began.
"Cool. I don't care. You must come. I need full suite support." Terra told them as we all started to fix her makeup and hair. We then heard the suite door open and close. "Is that Musa or Stella? Musa or Stella?"
"Well, this is weird." Musa stated as she entered the bathroom.
"Get dressed. We have to go. We're gonna go to the party. We're gonna show everybody that we're cool and... and... fun and-"
"Hot?"
"Exactly." Terra smiled.

***

I got ready for the party by applying heavier makeup and curling my hair. I then decided to wear a strapless red body dress with black heels and a black leather jacket. I then took the yearbook from my desk and sat down on the bed as I began to flick through the pages with a stack of post-its beside me. Every time I found someone with the name of my mum or dad, I stuck a post-it note to the page. After the party, I'd compare pictures of me with them.

I looked up when there was a knock on my door and Bloom opened the door. "Are you ready to go?" She asked me. I nodded my head and closed the yearbook before standing up and glancing at myself in the mirror. "You look amazing." Bloom smiled.
"Thanks." I said. "You do, too."
"Where's Stella?"
"No idea." I stated. "I imagine she should be at the party though."
"Are you coming or what?" Terra asked as she appeared in the doorway.
"Yes, Terra." I sighed smiling before leaving the suite with my new friends.