Chapter Twenty-Nine: Her Transformation

I began to run around the courtyard looking for some way for me to help but as an ice fairy there wasn't much I could do to protect the school from burned ones. As I walking around, I noticed that Riven wasn't anywhere to be seen. "Stella!" I exclaimed as I approached the girl talking to Aisha. "Have you seen Riven?"
"No, I haven't." She told me. I then looked at Aisha who shook her head.
"Well, have either of you seen Sky?"
"He was barricading the doors the last time I saw him." Aisha said and I quickly made my way back through the courtyard.

There was no one by the doors when I got there. They had already been sealed off. I then turned my head to Sky kissing Bloom. "I, uh... I'd hate to break it up but, uh... we are currently under attack and I can't seem to find Riven." I told them.
"I thought he was searching the school with Kat." Sky said.
"Kat's over there." I told him as I pointed to the girl talking to a group of specialists. "She left Riven earlier."
"Whatever you're thinking of doing, don't." Sky told me.
"I have to find him, Sky." I said before I started to walk off.

I found myself leaving the courtyard and I started to wander around the halls. It was dark since none of the lights were working and at that moment I didn't care about the burned one walking around. I wouldn't be able to turn back now anyway. The courtyard had been sealed off at all entries, I was just lucky to get out before they had finished.

It was really quiet as I searched each room I passed. My footsteps were echoing and in the distance I could hear people talking loudly from the courtyard but it grew fainter as I walked further away. That's when I heard it. A faint voice. A whisper. It was saying my name and I felt drawn to it. I started to follow the sound outside through a half open door. I then started walking through the fields of Alfea. Nobody was around, it was just me and this voice in my head.

Then I saw it. Three of them straight ahead looking at me. The voice had stopped and the burned ones were slowly starting to approach me. I turned around and Alfea was looking small in the distance. I'd never make it back. Not alive anyway. Tears were filling my eyes. The one person I wanted beside me wasn't here and probably didn't even know what was going on.

I took a deep breath and raised my hands to my sides. "Nice and calm, Eira." I told myself as I started to breathe slowly. I clenched my fists and opened them again to see a hall of blue fire in each of my hands as my eyes changed colour. I then started to throw fire balls towards the burned ones but it wasn't enough. They kept getting back up and coming closer to me as I slowly backed away. Then I started to run. Not towards Alfea but into the forest. I ran as fast as my legs could take me and the burned ones followed me. I kept shooting balls of ice fire behind me, hoping to hit a burned one but it was no use. I was too deep in the forest and I was beginning to get lost.

I then turned right. Back towards Alfea. My throat hurt and I was running out of breath. The edge of the forest was growing closer and as I tried to pick up my speed, I tripped. I landed face first in the dirt and the burned ones weren't far behind me. I rolled over and began to crawl backward of the forest, frowning as they got near my feet. The three of them jumped up and as they were hovering in the air right above me, I snapped my fingers and they froze in their place.

"Eira!" I turned to my left to see Bloom, Aisha and Stella approaching me. I quickly ran back and stood up before running over to them, shaken. Stella pulled me into a hug.
"Are you alright?" She asked me. I nodded.
"I think so." I said.
"Eira, I need you to unfreeze them." Bloom then told me.
"What?"
"Rosalind told me how to defeat them. I need to use all my potential. Unfreeze them and hide. They should come to me."
"I'll surround you with water in case the flames get too big." Aisha said.

Bloom nodded and walked a few metres away from us. Stella then took me to hide behind a tree in the forest and when Bloom gave me a signal, I snapped my fingers, unfreezing the three burned ones. When I did, I noticed more burned ones coming from where the others had been. Aisha then approached the pond where she manipulated the water to surround Bloom.

We waited for Bloom as she tried to access as much magic as she could. When she did, the water around her fell into the floor and I stepped out from behind the tree with Stella. Bloom had wings. Huge, orange, fairylike wings. She then used her powers to blast all the burned ones approaching her until her fell to the floor, dead.

When they were all gone, so were her wings.

Me, Stella and Aisha started to approached the girl who looked like she was in pure shock. I then noticed Farah standing there. She had witnessed the entire thing. "Well done, Bloom." She told the redhead before Bloom grew faint. Farah caught her and we ran over to them.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
"She's okay. She's just weak." Dowling told us. "Maybe you girls want to help take her back to her room?" We nodded and Stella and Aisha took Bloom over their shoulders. "Eira? Could I talk to you for a second?" I nodded and walked over to my godmother.

"What is it?" I asked the woman when Bloom, Stella and Aisha were out of ear's reach. 
"I just wanted to make sure you were okay."
"I'm fine, honestly." I said, smiling. "That was pretty cool though, right? I mean, did you see her wings?"
"Yes I saw them." She replied, looking at the corpses on the ground. "I just wanted to talk to you about what you said earlier. More about... what you called me."
"When I called you mum?" I asked. Dowling nodded. "You are my mum. Yes, I want to learn things about my birth parents but you're the one who raised me. You're the one who saved me that day at Aster Dell. You loved me even though you didn't have to."
"I suppose it does have a nice to ring to it." Farah smiled. "It will take some getting used to, though."
"Well, I should've called you mum sooner." I admitted before pulling the woman into a tight and warm hug.
"You go to bed. Get some rest. We'll talk in the morning." The woman then told me. I nodded and started to make my way up the field and back towards the school.