4.

Chapter Four

“No!” Zero hisses lowly, “I can't go out there!” 

“Yes, you can,” Sherry growls back, forcefully pushing Zero. The male pushes back, pressing the palms of his hands flat against the females shoulders. “No,” he whines, “I really can’t.” 

“Just be yourself,” Sherry says, “say something nice.”

Zero lets out a hysterical laugh, “Which one? I can’t do both-”

With one last push, Sherry successful cuts Zero off and sends the black haired male tumbling through the kitchen door and into the diner. He lands flat on his ass, grey eyes wide and lips parted open as if in shock.

Several customers turn their gazes towards them in curiosity, murmurs being exchanged quietly in confusion. 

Sherry fixes her plum coloured hair and smooths down her dark green apron. Holding back a laugh, she points her index finger towards the tables and booths. “Table number four,” she orders, lips twitching and dark brown eyes shining in mirth. “Go.”

Zero makes a face but stands to his feet. “Just be yourself,” he mocks her, making his voice an octave higher. “Say something nice.” He dusts himself off, sends Sherry a narrowed eyed look and then begrudgingly makes his way towards table four.

“My name is Zero,” he introduces himself, tapping the silver name tag he has pinned to the corner of his apron. He avoids looking at the tables occupants, fearing the worst case scenario. “And I’m too wifey to be treated like some ordinary girl. What can I get you?” 

“My usual,” he hears a familiar female voice say.

Zero taps his pen against his notepad, today it’s a sparkly green one. “Chocolate covered waffles with a side of eye fucking, got it.” He says, scribbling the order down onto his notepad. “Anything else?” 

Someone snorts, “Why aren’t you looking at us?” They ask. It’s a males voice, one Zero hasn’t heard yet.

“I heard Medusa was stopping by this morning,” Zero’s mouth moves without his permission, “I’m just taking precautions.”

“You really weren’t joking about that self defence mechanism.” The female voice huffs out a laugh, like she’s amused with the whole situation. Zero isn’t. He just wants it to be over and done with as soon as possible. Thank you very much.

And the fact that a certain someone is literally trying to see through his entire soul isn’t doing him any better - Zero wants to look up, to match his grey gaze with a greeny blue one, but instead he just ducks his head lower. “Anything else?” He asks, fiddling with his green glitter pen. There’s a little charm attached to it, a pusheen mermaid cat that Sherry has gifted to him not long ago. The colours are weirdly starting to dull and Zero frowns down at it.

“Surprise us,” the female voice says. Zero imagines her shrugging her shoulders. Nodding his head, Zero scribbles it down onto his notepad. “I’ll be right back with your order,” he mutters, heading towards the counter at the front.

He does quick work of placing a random assortment of cupcakes onto a plate. They’re all differently coloured, some of them have sprinkles and others have short but sweet messages on them. One of them has ‘bite me’ written across white frosting in red lettering. Zero is specifically proud of that one. Well, that one and the one cupcake that says ‘you suck’ with a little carrot drawn beside it. Its Zero’s most recent work of art. He’s quite proud of himself, actually.

Smiling, he sets off into the kitchen for the chocolate covered waffles. Sherry is stood over the stove humming quietly as she flips pancakes. Zero side steps her as she turns around to grab a plate. 

“You got any waffles done, boss?” Zero asks, eyeing the kitchen. “On the other side,” Sherry motions with a nod of her chin. “And don’t forget to siv some powdered sugar over it,” she reminds him.

Zero nods his head and does as he’s hold. Once he’s done he sets the plate of waffles over a tray and heads back out towards the counter. He grabs the plate of cupcakes from before and settles it onto the same tray. With a sigh, he makes his way to table four.

“Here are your orders,” Zero settles down the plates onto the table one by one. He holds the circular tray to his chest, eyes avoiding contact with everyone in his peripheral vision. He turns to leave-

“Hold on a minute. Where’s my side order of eye fucking?” 

Zero wants to die. He wants the ground to open up and swallow him whole. So close, he thinks, so close to freedom. Making a show of slowly turning back around, he gives the female sat at the edge of the table a flat look. She’s pretty, with her blonde hair and her blue eyes - sort of... barbie like. “So?” She prompts, pointing a manicured finger towards the person sat opposite her with a wolfish grin.

Flickering his gaze around the table, Zero notices three new faces. They all have dark brown hair and dark brown eyes, yet they look somewhat similar to the blonde female. Zero thinks they might be related. Zero also thinks he might just be the dumbest person when he reaches for the ‘bite me’ cupcake and gives the most bullshiting smile he can offer.

He turns to face the male he’s been avoiding eye contact with from the start. The one with the sandy blonde coloured hair and bluey-green eyes. The one that smells like honey and the forest, fresh but sweet. The ones that’s been staring at Zero almost longingly for the past ten minutes.

Bite me,” Zero taunts, showing off the cupcake before he bites right into it.

His chest burns and aches when the other males cyan coloured eyes darken, tongue swiping across his bottom lip hungrily.

Zero quickly averts his eyes to the side. “There, that’s your side order of eye fucking. Have a nice day.” He then disappears off into the kitchen, heart jumping away in his chest like a rabbit running away from a predator.

//unedited.