14.

//look at me. being productive and shit. writing new chapters and shit.

Chapter Fourteen:  

Sai walks out from behind the pale green door and sides steps a hoard of unopened cardboard boxes. "I was headbanging in the staff toilets and I headbutted the sink." She announces. Truth to her words, there is a minor cut peeking out from behind her dark bangs. There's also a splotch of glistening blood trickling down the side of her forehead. "Dude," Sai grins, showing off her pearly whites, "punk is dangerous."

Zero can't help but let out a laugh. "Are you getting dumber and dumber as the days go on?" He asks, maneuvering around tables and booths expertly. He sets down an empty tray onto the counter as he passes it. "Or am I just starting to realise just how stupid you truly are?"

"Don't be mean to Sai, Zero." Sherry says from where she stands behind the counter. She's scribbling something down onto her notepad. "That's my job." 

"Hey!" Sai whines. "Just because the two of you make a great team doesn’t mean that you have to gang up on me." She pouts as she takes a seat at table four. She turns to Rebekah, making herself seem demure and innocent. "Right?" 

Rebekah, ever the greatest friend, makes a disgusted face. "Did I not tell you to stop dragging me into your three-way arguments?" 

"Well, yeah." Zero shrugs his shoulders and trails towards table four. "You've said it so many times that the three of us just filter it as nonsensical words and therefore are immune to it." 

Rebekah rolls her eyes and gives a deep, deep, ever so suffering sigh. "Come on," she says, beckoning Zero forward so he can sit between her and Kol. When Zero merely raises a brow, she stands to her feet and manhandles the male to sit along the booth. 

"O-oi," Zero stumbles. 

Ignoring his protests, Rebekah quickly slides into the booth after him, effectively caging him in. She presses up against Zero, shoulder to shoulder and knee to knee, going far as to wrap her hand around the boy's own. 

Cheeks flushing red, Zero merely opens his mouth, closes it and opens it again. 

From his other side, Kol leans his head against his shoulder and almost… possessively curls his fingers around Zero's thigh. His hand is large and warm and Zero's body heat skyrockets. "W-ha...what are you two doing?" He asks, stuttering over his words. 

"What are you talking about?" Kol asks. He lets out a loud yawn and snuggles closer into Zero. The hand that he has curled around Zero's thigh momentarily tightens. "We're not doing anything."

Dumbfounded, Zero stares at Sai across the table with wide, grey eyes. 

Sai merely shrugs and spreads out her legs beneath the table until her ankles are touching Zero's own. 

From behind the booth Sherry reaches out to gently pet Zero's dark hair. And when the boy releases a quiet purr, she smirks triumphantly.

Embarrassed, Zero ducks his head and hides his face into Rebekah's shoulder with a weak sound. 

God, did he hate these people. 

----

Over the last few weeks, a month and a half to be exact, Zero has gotten somewhat used to the frequent touches from the Mikaelson family. Some are fleeting, some are long and soft and others leave his face burning red for hours. He doesn't understand their sudden need to afflict their affection upon him but he takes it in stride.