15.

man, it's been like, a year maybe? since i last looked at this and updated it. but i woke up in the middle of the night and got into a writer's haze and i just had to write a chapter while i still had the energy for it 🤣 im surprised im still alive tbh.

anyways some of you might be confused with this chapter. don't forget this is a minor bleach/tvd crossover with some of the elements, so. enjoy!

Chapter Fifteen:

The peace and quiet that Zero wants so desperately from Mystic falls doesn't last long. It's a pity, really, Zero likes it here. It's brimming with supernatural creatures, the business is doing good and Zero finally feels like he might belong somewhere -- belong in Mystic Falls.

He likes Klaus and so does his Hollow. Which is weird, but not uncommon. It's just... surprising, because Zero can't remember the last time he's gotten along with his inner Hollow. There's always a battle for dominance just at the surface of his thoughts. It's annoying and tiring, but it is what it is.

Zero has been through much worse.

He just wishes he could be like the others.

Other half-human half-hollow beings that latch onto other supernatural creatures and just exist. In peace.

What a wild concept.

Zero mourns for a chance like that. It's quite unfortunate that the rest of the world just doesn't get his memo.

"I can't be a Vice Captain," Zero says, staring down into his cup of sweet tea owlishly. His back is leaned against the kitchen counter and it's digging into his lower back uncomfortably. "Or a Lieutenant, or whatever you call it these days."

"I'm afraid these are the direct orders from Central Forty-Six," Momo says. She looks mostly the same as the last time Zero had seen her. She's still short and skinny with short black hair. The only difference is that her eyes are not as warm before, they're darker now.

"I'm sorry," Momo apologies and her expression shifts into worry. "If you don't except the offer, they'll execute you Zero, please."

Zero snorts. "Right," he says, because what else is he supposed to do? He musters up the energy to ask, "and which division will I be under?"

"The eighth," Momo answers.

Zero makes a face. "Under Shunsui?"

There's a twitch in Momo's face. "No," she pauses, like she's looking for the right words, "He's been promoted to commander. You'll be working under Lisa."

"Can't believe she managed to work with a perv like him," Zero mumbles, slightly surprised. "How's Aizen treating you these days, by the way?"

Momo's face twitches again and then pinches, looking sour. "You left," she says softly, "and a lot of bad things have happened since then."

Zero watches as Momo momentarily disappears into her head and waits for her to resurface back. Something huge must have happened between the time that Zero e̶s̶c̶a̶p̶e̶d left Soul Society and wandered across Hueco Mundo for a few years.

Maybe more than a few years. A decade perhaps? Zero wasn't exactly keeping track while he was stuck in a land full of endless sand and other bloodthirsty Hollows.

He had to fight his way out. He had to earn it.

And he did.

"We're forbidden to talk about the events," Momo explains, coming back from her mind, "it happened not long ago, that's all that I can say."

The dark haired female hesitates before she continues speaking, "there's someone you can ask though. Isshin's son. He was there when it happened."

"Huh," Zero breathes out. He lifts his tea up to his mouth and takes a small sip. So, Isshin had a kid. That was...also kind of surprising. "I'll think about the offer," he says eventually. He's not scared of Central Forty-Six. They could suck his dick for all he cared. He just wants to keep Sherry and Sai safe, as far from Soul Society as humanly possibly.