11.

Chapter Eleven:  

Hunger. 

Klaus has felt hunger many a times in his long life. First when he was a child, eyeing the many apples a lone merchant was selling. His stomach had been pitifully crying at him, begging for the pain of hunger to disappear. Second, when he was turned by his mother — the hunger for blood was different than the hunger for food, it was dizzying and it changed you. It was consuming, like the only thing you could think about was the burning, coppery taste of blood. And without it, you were nothing. 

The hunger he feels now... it's not like either of those. This hunger gnaws at his chest, makes it burn, burn, burn. It simers beneath his skin, bubbling like hot water boiling over a stove. It's angry, ready for some sort of attack. 

Klaus slams his hand against the door, it makes a dent just to the side of Zero's head. He growls lowly, chest rumbling with the sound because Zero had just tried to reach for the door handle so he could escape. Klaus wasn't going to let him leave, no, not until he had answers. Because here he was, feeling and he would very much like to know why. Zero trembles underneath him, scrambling to push himself closer to the door to make as much space between them as he can. He ducks his head, the cap he's wearing along with his hood constricting Klaus's view of his face. 

Klaus leans closer, to murmur against the hood over his ear, "I'm going to take you away," he says, "so we can have a nice little chat." Other than a sharp intake of breath and a small nod, he doesn't get any other reaction from Zero. Scowling, Klaus leans away. He still can't see the younger's face. Feeling irritation spark through his being, Klaus swiftly pulls Zero's hood down. He pauses, one hand hovering over his black cap — there are locks of white hair sticking out from underneath the edges. Zero places a shaky hand over Klaus's own, jerking his head from side to side to indicate a no. 

With a click of his tongue, Klaus pulls Zero's cap off anyway. It falls to the ground with barely a sound. 

Oh.

Oh.

Zero's hair is white. 

Okay. Klaus is officially confused. More confused than he usually is with Zero, but whatever. He's somewhat used to it by now. 

Sherry is half Ghoul and half Zombie? Okay. Sai is a Witch with raging hormones who is also part Ghoul? Klaus understands. Zero purrs and constantly avoids answering questions about whether or not he's fully human? Fan-fucking-tastic. 

It's a known fact. The sky is blue. Kol is a whore. Zero makes you confused. Simple. 

Carefully, Klaus holds Zero's chin between his thumb and index finger, lifting his head slowly higher. "Pretty," he breathes out, completely enthralled by what he then sees. One of Zero's eyes is completely black, the ring around his pupil shining in gold. The skin around it is pale, startlingly white. The same exact shade of his hair. Zero flushes, his cheeks turning red. Klaus slips his hand lower, around the side of his neck so that his fingers thread through white hair and his thumb rubs gently against a soft cheek. 

Zero makes a high, needy sound, almost like a keen. His scent suddenly sky rockets into the air and Klaus feels his senses run into overdrive. He can now taste syrupy fruit on his tongue, heavy and sweet and tantalising. Zero's heartbeat rings in his ears, thumping quickly and loudly. Klaus feels his fangs ache with the need to bite, not for blood, just for the simple act of marking up Zero's neck. So that everyone knows who he belongs to.