6.

Chapter Six:

“So he magically charmed you?” Elijah questions, one brow quirked and tone amused. He settles a napkin across his lap nonchalantly. 

“He didn’t magically charm me,” Klaus denies, feeling his lips settle into a deep scowl. 

“Oh, so he just regularly charmed you then, did he?” Kol drawls in a bored tone. He stabs his fork into a piece of steak, bringing the meat up to his lips and swallowing loudly around it. There’s blood splattered across his white button up shirt and the side of his neck — beside his feet on the floor lays an unconscious body, neck twisted at an odd angle and eyes open wide in shock.

Rebekah scrunches up her nose in distaste and Finn sighs tiredly. “What have we told you about bringing extra… meals to the table?” He asks, his lips turning down into a disappointed frown. 

“That I shouldn’t do it in front of you?” Kol quips, shrugging his shoulders. “Besides,” he says, “if Klaus can wax poetry about that human boy, then I can bring dead bodies to the table.” 

“I do not wax poetry about him,” Klaus stresses through his teeth.

“Uh,” Rebekah makes a face. “Yes,” she says. “Yes, you do—”

Kol holds his hands to his chest, “Oh Zero and his beautiful blue eyes—”

“They’re grey,” Finn cuts in with an utter, tone exasperated. 

“And humans don’t purr,” Klaus adds, sending Kol a dirty look. 

Kol rolls his dark brown eyes in return. “And cats do. What’s your point?” 

There’s a beat of silence, where the rest of the Mikaelsons stare at Kol with the same deadpan gaze. And then it clicks for the youngest, his eyes widen as he lets out a quiet, “Oh.” 

He turns his line of sight towards Klaus. “Zero is the one purring,” he breathes out, like he’s amazed at the piece of information.

Klaus rubs a hand down his face, clearly done with Kol.

Elijah does good work of covering up his laugh behind a cough.

——

“Look!” Zero exclaims, shoving a piece of paper into Sherry’s face. “Looooook!” 

Sherry bats the offending piece of paper away from her pale face. “Stop — how am I supposed to look if you keep shoving it into my face? — Zero!”

“It’s my third husband,” Zero says as he pulls the paper away from Sherry with a grin. “It’s Yusuke Urameshi. Look at him Sherry, he’s perfect.”

Sherry stares at the printed out animated character on the paper with a flat look. “It’s an animated character,” she says, tone disappointed.

“Your third husband?” Klaus asks from where he’s sat at a neighboring table. He glares at the piece of paper held up by Zero almost like he’s trying to will it to catch ablaze. 

“Why isn’t anyone asking why it’s his third husband?” Rebekah raises an eyebrow, sipping at her coffee. 

“Right,” Kol nods his head, “what happened to the first two?”