Twenty three

Steve and Nat both stare at me in amusement as I start my third helping of eggs on toast.

I pause, mid mouthful, to look back at them, my eyes flicking between the two in confusion. Steve lets out a laugh, leaning slightly back in his chair and Natasha has to stifle one of her own. I shrug, continuing to shovel the perfectly cooked eggs into my mouth, too hungry to be embarrassed.

Never before have I been allowed to eat as much as I want after an incident, so I'm making the most of it.

"Well no, I just said 'you know where to find me' and walked out." Nat shrugs, continuing her conversation with Steve.

"I can't believe you basically told the US government to kiss your ass." Steve says in disbelief.

"Language Cap."

A smile tugs at my lips as I listen to their banter, perfectly content with quietly watching them bicker. They continue back and forth while I finish my eggs.

I have to restrain myself from licking the plate clean - Steve really can cook. Tony and Bruce disappeared soon after I sat down at the table, mumbling about government meetings and the like. I doubt I'll see them for a while.

"Well, I have some errands to run today, so I'd better get going." Steve sighs finally, standing from his seat.

He sends me an amused smile, eyeing my empty plate. Finally satiated, I grin back, slightly embarrassed as I turn to place the dish in the sink.

"You mean you're going to spend time with your ninety year old girlfriend."

Steve shoots Nat a withering look as she stares smugly back. Judging from the super soldier's reaction, she's not far wrong. I glance between the two in confusion, but don't voice it, I'm sure I'll find out some other time.

"That's fine." Natasha shrugs. "Nyx and I will have more fun without an old man cramping our style anyway."

Steve glares at her with narrowed blue eyes, but his twitching lip gives away his obvious amusement. He turns to me and shakes his head, rolling his eyes as if Nat can't see. I let out a small giggle as he walks towards the main doors, throwing a hand up in goodbye.

"Can you bring us back a Starbucks?"

Nat huffs when he doesn't reply, flopping back into her seat and shooting daggers at the closing door. Her mood only lasts a few seconds before her green gaze lands on me, a smile replacing her scowl immediately.

"So... what do you want to do today?"

I freeze at the question, having absolutely no idea. I had planned on just going back to sleep, so the prospect of having to do something with Natasha makes my stomach sink slightly. She scans my mildly lost features before breaking into a proper smile.

"I'm going to take your lack of response as an opportunity to impose whatever I want to do on you."

"Fine by me." I laugh.

Social interactions are weird for me, so not having to make any decisions and going along with whatever someone else wants is the best option.

"How sore are you." She asks, scanning my body as if she'll be able to notice any signs of pain.

I shrug.

"Everything aches a bit."

"So you wouldn't want to go for a walk?"

My heart jumps with excitement; I haven't been outside for almost a month.

In a single sentence, my longing to be left alone disappears.

Natasha nods at my response, biting back a smile as she stands up. I notice her hoodie is multiple sizes too big, but say nothing. Something tells me she likes stealing clothing.

"Are you going like that or do you need to change?"

"I'm fine like this." I shrug, getting to my feet and smoothing out my clothes.

She nods, grabbing her phone from the counter and shoving it her pocket before moving towards the door. I go to follow her, but something shiny grabs my attention.

"Natasha wait, I can't leave the building." I sigh, disappointment clear in my voice as I wave my silver band at her.

The redhead takes in the cuff and narrows her eyes for a minute, lost in thought. Finally, she pulls the phone back out from her hoodie and dials a number.

It takes seven rings for Tony to pick up.

There's muffled talking on the other end before Natasha cuts the voice off, glancing at me then straight ahead, face determined.

"Stark I need you to disable Nyx's band."

There's a pause.

"Because we want to go for a walk."

Nat's face creases into a scowl as she crosses her arms. My stomach starts to sink, the excitement from earlier turning sour in my veins.

"She's not going to run off." The woman scoffs, sending me an apologetic smile. I force my features to return the gesture before turning away to gaze longingly out the window at New York, the city being so close yet so far.

The sun shines brightly over the mass of buildings, its impression enhanced as it bounces off millions of glass windows.

My focus is grabbed as the front door opens.

Two blue eyes meet mine briefly, then quickly flick to the woman next to me as she hisses into her phone. Bucky pauses in the doorway for a few moments more, gaze back on me, before he starts walking again. His hair is slick with sweat and there are dark patches on his tight fitting blue t-shirt, shining silver arm on full display.

My heart hammers in my chest as I remember him sat on my floor a few nights ago, the first time I've spoken to him properly in five years.

We keep cautious eye contact as he walks quickly towards the stairs, the awkwardness almost tangible. Eventually I force myself react properly, giving him a small nod of acknowledgement before finally breaking his cerulean gaze.

My hands ball into fists in my pockets as he passes, swallowing back a lump. Adrenaline pumps frantically around my veins even after I hear his bedroom door close down the hall.

I haven't figured out how to feel about him, and something tells me it's going to be a long time before I do.

"Ok." Nat says suddenly, grabbing my attention back to her. "Lets go."

I look down in confusion, the cuff still definitely attached to my wrist and not somewhere on the floor having magically let go of my arm.

"I can control it from my phone." She sighs, obviously not happy about the situation. "Stark says he wants to talk to you about the bracelet later."

I shrug and then break into a grin, my excitement rushing back. Nat lets out a small laugh at my childish behaviour before turning for the door once more. My brain still pictures Bucky stood there watching me, blue eyes boring into mine.

I shake my head, forcing him to the back of my mind.

I'm going to enjoy this.

"Oh, and one more thing..."

I jump as a black baseball cap is pulled down over my dark hair, sitting snugly on my head.

"Perfect." Nat mutters, before opening the door.