Forty six

The world is sideways.

My vision blurs in and out of focus for a few seconds before I realise I'm lying on my side. I manage to make out the shapes of the quinjet seats and multiple pairs of feet before the effort becomes too great and I close my eyes again.

My whole body aches, right down to my bones. The moment I try to move, a jarring pain erupts from my shoulder, stopping me in my tracks.

A low moan escapes my mouth.

I'm aware of multiple approaching feet but my eyes remain closed, the effort of making them function out of reach for the moment.

The blackness returns for short while, my grasp on consciousness slipping completely before returning, stronger this time.

I force my eyes to open, more aware of the world around me. My gaze makes the arduous journey up someone's legs until they rest on a concerned face, two blue orbs set on mine. I look from Bucky to Steve and then finally Banner, who crouches down to my level.

A hand feels my sweating forehead, but the palm is uncomfortably hot against my already boiling skin.

"Don't try to move. We're almost home and then we'll get you some morphine."

Home.

I don't have a home.

"What happened?" I croak, closing my eyes again as light headedness clouds my mind.

"You passed out." Steve answers, rather unhelpfully.

"No shit."

There's a chorus of chuckles and I manage a weak smile despite the fact that the laughter hurts my ears.

"The bullet was sealed properly in your shoulder, which is why you weren't bleeding that much. I had to dig under it to get it out and without anaesthesia, it must've been agony. I'm surprised you remained conscious as long as you did." Bruce's voice explains.

I let out a low hum in acknowledgement, taking deep breaths in and out.

"We should be back at the tower in about fifteen minutes." Steve sighs, and I open my eyes to take in his concerned gaze.

I manage a small nod, peering up at the three figures for a moment longer.

"You don't all have to stand there staring at me, you know. It's kind of creepy."

There's more laughs from around the jet.

"That's what I said!" Someone calls, and it takes me a moment to place the voice as Clint's.

"Just take it easy." Steve warns, a concerned smile on his face before he walks away to join Natasha near the front of the jet. Bruce nods to me then follows.

My eyes find two blues ones for a brief moment before I close them, my brain needing a moments respite from having to focus. I hear shuffling next to me as Bucky settles himself on the floor opposite.

"Where is he?" I ask, swallowing something in my throat before placing my gaze back on the super soldier. He leans back against the row of seats, knees to his chest as he watches me intently, tensing visibly at my question.

"In one of the containment cubes at the back of the jet."

"You're sure it's secure?"

Bucky nods before leaning his head back to look at the roof, exposing his neck and bruised jaw.

We're silent for a moment, leaving me to grapple with the pain in my shoulder. It hurts like hell, but it's more manageable now.

As long as I don't laugh.