Thirty

"You did not!"

"Wanna bet?"

Natasha and Steve's argument jolts me back to consciousness seconds before my face would've hit my cereal. I blink at the bowl of white liquid for a few seconds, my brain computing just how close I was to snorkelling in it before shaking my head in an attempt to clear some sleep from my mind.

It was nearing 4am when I finally went back to bed, reluctantly leaving Bucky to his thoughts. I would've stayed with him, but after the second time I nodded off he insisted I get some more rest. That allowed me three hours of sleep before I had to get up again for a meeting with Tony's contact on Hydra.

"Natasha Romanoff, you did not kill a man with a teddy bear."

"Come on Rogers, do you really think it's that hard?"

I observe the two silently from the other side of the table, lazily shoving a few more spoonfuls of soggy cornflakes into my mouth.

Steve lets out an exasperated sigh, narrowing his eyes at the smirking red head before turning his baby blue gaze on me.

"Back me up here Nyx." He whines, raising his brow hopefully.

My amber gaze flicks between the two of them, trying to stifle a yawn. I rub my eyes with clumsy hands, wincing as they sting with fatigue before focusing on the two in front of me again.

"To be honest I stopped listening about twenty minutes ago." I shrug, turning my attention back to the bowl in front of me. It's mostly milk now, with only a few dejected flakes struggling to stay afloat. Feeling suddenly full, I push my half finished breakfast away, glancing back up just in time to catch Natasha and Steve sharing a look.

I raise my eyebrows questioningly at them but they ignore me, instead a mildly pious look settles on the super soldier's face.

"Natasha and I were discussing missions and somehow got into the topic of the most random weapons we've used in fights. Apparently agent Romanoff here has killed a man with a children's bear - which I highly doubt." He explains, glancing suspiciously at the woman next to him, before looking back at me, a teasing smile tugging at his lips. "Of course, you'd know this if you weren't attempting to take a bath in your cereal."

I scowl jokingly at Steve who smirks back, using the sleeve of my hoodie to try and stifle another yawn.

My focus is pulled to Nat as she scoffs at Cap.

"Come on Rogers, are you really doubting me?"

"Yes! Yes I am." He cries in return, shaking his head incredulously before glancing back at me. "Come on Nyx, you can't seriously believe her."

I concentrate for a moment, first considering the different applications a teddy bear could have for murder, then the creative skill that Natasha has obtained over the years.

"If you can shove stuffing far enough down someone's throat then I'd say it's entirely possible." I shrug finally.

"What!" Steve scoffs, shaking his head in disappointment and mild concern.

Nat just grins widely, reaching across the table to high five me. We both giggle as the super soldier gapes at the two of us, disbelief widening his eyes and making us laugh even harder.