Sixty four

Bucky POV

The sound of a crash jolts me awake immediately. I fly upright, searching for the source of the noise.

My door swings wildly on its hinges and in its place stands Steve.

"What..." I start, but his voice cuts me off.

"Have you seen Nyx?"

My chest tightens. There's panic in Steve's blue eyes.

"I- no, not since earlier."

Steve doesn't even wait for me to finish my sentence. He's gone and down the corridor, footsteps echoing as he goes.

What the fuck?

I scramble upwards, shoving the duvet aside in the process. Rubbing sleep from my eyes, I follow him, confusion and anxiety bubbling in my stomach.

The main space is a hive of activity. Banner and Stark are huddled over a holographic computer screen, furiously typing and swiping at some sort of computer code, muttering as they do so. Natasha has her own computer out, seated at the kitchen table. She studies it like her life depends on it while Steve paces behind her, pausing every few seconds to peer impatiently over her shoulder before returning to his pacing.

"What's going on?"

I wait out the long pause. No one even spares me a glance. Clearing my throat, I try again.

"Guys?" Louder this time.

To my surprise, it's Stark that replies.

"Peter and Nyx are gone."

I'm sure my heart stops.

"What?"

Everything feels suddenly very cold, like I'm stood outside in the middle of winter with no coat. Gripping the banister, I force myself down the stairs to where Steve is, standing in his path so he has to stop moving. Two blue eyes meet mine, reflecting the same nausea churning my stomach.

"What do you mean gone?"

"We can't find them. They're not in the building." Nat replies, her gaze never once leaving the computer.

My attention travels from her to Tony, who is still frantically typing, and then to Bruce who's rubbing his face aggressively. He lets out a sigh, replacing his glasses on his now red nose.

"Is there any chance Nyx ran off?"

No one replies.

My eyes move between the four of them, incredulity growing on my tongue.

"Not a chance." I answer finally, when the question has hung in the air for too long.

"Bucky..." Steve starts, but it's my turn to cut him off.

"No."

The memory of Nyx's lips against mine flashes almost painfully now across my mind, an ache burning deep in my chest. I grind my teeth, crossing my arms.

"She wouldn't do that."

Steve opens his mouth to talk but the look on my face must stop him. He scans me for a moment, some flicker of challenge in his eyes. I stand and wait, face inches from his, until finally he shakes his head, backing off.

"All I'm saying is that it wouldn't be hard for her to over power Peter." Bruce shrugs. I turn to glare at him instead. He seems to cower back, but doesn't retract his statement. I go to open my mouth, to say what, I'm not sure, but Stark shaking his head grabs my attention.