Chapter 2: Rumor

"Have you heard the rumor?"

"Yes, yes! It's unbelievable, isn't it?"

"But I mean, I guess it's to be expected, both are so popular and all."

Rebecca wandered what rumour and what people the students were gossiping about as she trailed down the hall to her classroom; however, she kept quiet and calmly made her way. But something in the eyes of the people who looked at her (what was not unusual) made her feel uncomfortable and she unconsciously walked faster.

She exhaled in relief as she sat on her chair. She started taking out her materials, but not even a minute had passed when the door slides wide open and Labilia entered, going straight to Rebecca's seat. She was excited and her eyes twinkled.

"Rebecca! I can't believe you didn't tell me!"

Rebecca frowns. "What didn't I tell you?"

"About you and Shiki!" Her voice was so enthusiastic.

"Who?" Rebecca's frown grew deeper.

Labilia takes out her phone from somewhere with tremendous speed and shoves it in her friend's face. "Look! Don't play dumb, the evidence is clear!"

Rebecca takes the phone and stares at the screen. Her eyes widen as she sees the post. It was a picture of her and a black-haired boy; all normal, except the fact that it looked like they were kissing. Her heart stopped for a second in shock.

She realized he was the boy she had met the day before.

Rebecca shakes her head slightly in disbelief. "I... This is a misunderstanding. I don't know he is nor did we kiss."

Labilia arches an eyebrow and places her hand on her forehead, sighing dramatically. "Honestly, Rebecca, you should really follow my advice and make sure you know every handsome and popular guy. You never know when they might be useful."

As Rebecca just stared at her, Labilia continued. "He's Shiki Granbell, the ace of the volleyball team and he's got many fans in and out of school. This could be very good for you."

"Why?"

"Because!" Labilia says as she taps her phone and shows it again."Your channel has received a boost!"

Rebecca takes the phone again and her eyes widen in surprise as she sees that she had more subscribers and views. A lot more comments from boys as well.

"Wow..." She whispers amazed. "All this just from him?"

Labilia nods enthusiastically. "And just from a single picture! Now imagine if you two were actually dating!"

"Labilia," Rebecca starts, not liking where this was going. "Calm down. That photo is a misunderstanding. Yesterday I fell and he caught me, it's as simple as that. Someone must have taken a photo for fun with that angle. I don't know Shiki. I won't imagine dating him because that's not going to happen."

"But it could be so good for your channel!" She insists. "In all these years you never showed any love interest and your fans really want to know how you are when you are in love. It's a side you have never shown."

"No one ever interested me and my fans understand that." Rebecca replies.

"Yes, they do, but that doesn't mean they don't want to meet a 'in love Rebecca'."

Rebecca considers her friend's words. It was true that she had many comments asking if she had ever been in love or with a love interest. To all of them she answered the same. 'No, I don't, but I hope one day I'll be.' And that was the truth.

"Just think of the new contents you could upload!" Labilia continues, getting even more excited. "Couple's interviews, dating vlogs, dating advice, all sorts of stuff! I should probably get a boyfriend too!"

"I... I would be lying to my fans." Rebecca murmurs. "I don't want to do that." The words didn't feel right on her mouth, and she pushed down the feeling that was emerging.

Labilia waves her hand, dismissing the subject. "A small, white lie. No one is going to get hurt."

"I don't even know is this Shiki Gran- Granbell, right? I don't even know if he will agree!"

"Well, you won't know if you don't ask. Just make a deal with him or something."

"A deal?"

"Yes." Labilia smiles maliciously, leaning in. "Boys always love deals with pretty girls."

*

Rebecca waited outside for the volleyball practice to finish. As people started getting out from the gym, she started to panic.

This is stupid. He'll never agree to this. I should probably go before I make a fool of myself.

She had just turned on her heels when a voice came from behind her.

"Are you lost?"

She turned to meet the so called Shiki. Since she had not had her lens the first time they met, she hadn't been able to see his face. And in the photo, you could only see just a bit of it.

"Here," Labilia points at a boy on a picture of her phone. "This is him."

Rebecca gulps nervously as she takes a few steps toward him, leaving a respectful distance between them.

"No, I'm not. I'm actually here to speak with you."

Shiki blinks as he cocks his head to his side and points at himself. "With me?"

Rebecca tried hard not to roll her eyes. "Yes. I want to-"

She stops, wondering again if she should that. She would still be able to get away with it without creating any awkward situation.

But my fans... With that thought in mind, she became more determined.

"I want to propose a deal." She says, trying to sound as natural as possible.

"A deal?"

"Yes. I want you to..." Rebecca closes her eyes as she takes a quick breath. She opens them and looks straight into his eyes.

"I want to you to date me."