Chapter 20: Flaws And All

They said that keeping a secret is okay, as long as it doesn't hurt or concern another person.

Rebecca thought that was bullshit. It doesn't matter if it doesn't hurt the other person, as long as it is vital for the other to understand you better. She knew that now.

Rebecca didn't really recall how she had gotten home. She didn't remember lying on her bed, crying, nor falling asleep.

The nest thing she knew, it was already morning, the sun shining brightly against the sky, as if to mock her for her miserable state.

The only thing she was happy about was that it was Sunday, so she didn't need to face anyone.

She looks at herself in the mirror, eyeing her red, puffy eyes and messy hair. She was far from being in her usual graceful appearance. But for once, she didn't care at all.

The only thing on her mind was Shiki. Shiki, Shiki, Shiki. She felt tears welling up again at the memories they had been through together, and at guilt she felt for being the one who had caused it to end.

If only she had been true... If only she had never felt as if she should meet expectations from people she didn't even know...

There's no point in thinking that. It's my fault. And now I have to live with it.

But that was easier said than done.

Because the next day, when she stepped out of the house and didn't seem the familiar figure waiting for her, she felt a crushing sadness.

*

"Why is Rebecca all alone?"

"Yeah, and Shiki also arrived by himself."

"That's a first. Do you think they had a fight?"

"Maybe. Do you think that someone cheated?"

"No! You do?"

"It's a possibility."

"So they broke up? But they were so cute together!"

Rebecca hardly heard the whispers and murmurs and she walked toward her classroom. Her mind was involved in fog, her mind a mess. She only wanted to sit on her chair and forget everything else.

But Labilia had other plans.

"What happened?" She asks the minute Rebecca enters. Has she been waiting by the door the whole time?

Rebecca sighs, going for her seat. "Nothing."

"Well, something happened. Shiki arrived alone and you look like you have been hit by a car. Why do you look so miserable?"

"Thank you, Labilia, for your kind words."

"You know what I mean." Labilia sits on her friend's table, placing a hand on the top. She lowers her voice. "Did you two have a fight?"

Rebecca's lips quiver, and she felt like bursting out crying again. But she took a deep breath to compose herself. She still had a little dignity left.

"We broke up."

The words sounded weird coming out of her mouth.

Labilia's eyes widen, the shock obvious on her features. "But... Everything was fine like, 4 days ago! What happened?! What did he do?!"

Rebecca's voice was nothing more than a whisper. "It was my fault."

"Yours?"

She nods and Labilia's face slowly softens, taking pity on her friend. She jumps from the table, standing in front of it, before going around it and grabbing her friend's hand, making her stand up.