Chapter 27: Aftermath

Of course she was nervous.

One thing was to read all the positive comments online; another was to face everyone at school after the video.

She met with Shiki in the morning (something that only realized how truly she had missed it once had it back), and they walked to school together.

As usual, all eyes fell on them both. But instead, no one was whispering, no one was talking - they just stared at her, unsure of what to do, what to say.

Rebecca found herself griping Shiki's hand, and Shiki gave her a reassuring squeeze. I'm here, you're not alone was what felt he was saying.

She continued walking with her head held high, not allowing herself to let show the nervousness bubbling inside her.

A girl came out from a classroom, stopping in front of the couple. They stopped too, surprised, and the students in the hall shifted their attention to what was happening.

Rebecca had seen the girl before, but didn't know her name. She was a year younger than them, and had short, green hair with a smiley pin on it.

"My name is Kleene." She introduces herself. "And... I know this might sound weird but... I just wanted to say that I admire what you did." She says, looking at the ground before looking up to meet Rebecca's eyes. "Thank you for telling your feelings."

Rebecca blushes, touched. "Oh..." Her lips curl up, her eyes gentle as she watched Kleene. "Thank you for telling me that. I'm happy you liked it, though I was just honest. This video was something I should have done a long time ago."

"You did it when you felt like you needed it. There was no right moment - I think it was the moment that felt right for you." Kleene comments quietly, looking down again.

Rebecca places a hand on her cheek, lifting her gaze to meet hers. Her eyes were soft and Kleene's eyes shone with wonder. "You're a special girl, Kleene. Never forget that. And now I can truly say this without being an hypocrite: be whoever you want to be. Those who are truth and good to you will accompany you on this journey and those are the ones who matter. In the end, you being faithful to yourself is what matters."

Shiki smiles proudly beside her, and Kleene's expression changes to one of determination.

"Yes!"

"What's happening here?" A manly voice asks and the couple turns to see a green-haired guy looming over them.

"We were just talking, brother." Kleene answers as her brother moves to her side, arms crossed in an intimidating pose.

Of course Shiki didn't see it that way. "Woah, you look so cool!" Shiki says, eyes twinkling. "Would you and your sister like to be my friends?!"

"Of course not-"

"I would like to." Kleene says, a small smile gracing her lips.

"Fine, then. We can be friends." Her brother says.

Wow, he sure loves his sister. Rebecca thinks.

"I'm Kris." He says in a low tone.

"I'm Shiki and this is my girlfriend Rebecca." Even now, the title still made her heart race. Rebecca opened her mouth to greet him when another voice came from behind her.

"Of course we know who she is. No one is talking about anything else today."

Again, the couple turned to see a boy of their year with light-blue hair. "It was cool what you did." He says, gesturing with his chin to Rebecca. "You hushed all those boring people that just want to be like everyone else."

Rebecca scratches her cheek, embarrassed. "Well, I didn't mean to hush anyone, I just said what I felt."

He pats her on the head, under Shiki's sharp eyes. Gently, he pulled his girlfriend to his side, away from the new guy.

"I'm Laguna." He says. "Nice to meet you and all that."

"It's really strange to be talking with you all like this." Rebecca says quietly, smiling gently. "I mean, if not for the video, we wouldn't-"

"Is a meeting happening without me?" This time it was a woman voice, coming suddenly from between them. The whole group gasped, jumping a bit way from the red-haired woman.

"Oi, Elsie!" Shiki greets with a smile, which she returns. The name triggered a memory inside Rebecca's mind and she remembered Shiki talking about a girl from their year, the leader of the 'rebels' of the school. They called themselves rebels but in truth, they were all kind-hearted people.

"Hello, Shiki. Why is everyone gathered here?"

"Oh well, we were just talki-"

"Well, it doesn't matter. I just wanted to congratulate Rebecca for her video." Elsie says, placing a hand on the B-cuber's shoulder. "It was a refreshing thing to see. May I give you a piece of advice? Maybe do a video about cheesecakes sometime. I'm sure people would love it and keep asking for more!" Her eyes twinkled at the prospect of sweets and Rebecca giggles.

"Maybe someday. I'm planning on expanding my content and-"

"Are you causing trouble again, Elsie?" A grave voice asks from behind the red-haired girl.

She didn't even look back, her expression changing from childish to serious. "What do you want Justice?"

"Just making sure you aren't causing trouble like you always do."

Rebecca recognized the boy beside Elsie as being the student council president. She knew he had a strong idea of justice, and so she assumed he and Elsie should not be on the greatest of terms, since she was all he fought against.

However, upon seeing the way they looked at each other when Elsie turned her head, despite the daggers shooting between them, she couldn't help but feel as if there was some history between the two of them.

On second thought, they make a cute pair.

"Everything I do is trouble, it seems." Elsie comments, a smirk on her lips. Justice loomed over her.

"Yes, it is. Just you standing here is a sign something might happen."

"Oh, if you keep on talking like that I'll start to think you have some feelings for me." Elsie winks.

Justice didn't even flinch. "What nonsense."

They continued bickering with each other, forgetting about those around them.

Rebecca giggles, amused. Then the school's bell is heard, signaling the students it was class' time.

"I really liked to speak with you all." Rebecca says genuinely, her eyes shining. "Thank you."

"There's no need to thank anyone." Laguna comments. "We just did what we wanted."

The girl smiles at Laguna, and she feels, again, Shiki pulling her to his side, his eyes almost glaring at Laguna.

Something clicked on her mind. Oh my... He's jealous! So cute!

"Let's go." Kris says, motioning everyone. "We don't want to be late."

Kleene waved a goodbye, going back to her classroom as the rest went to the third years' floor.

As they spoke with one another, laughing and getting to know each other, Rebecca felt as if this was the perfect way to start a new path.

But, Author, did you really just sprang all this new characters on one chapter when you could have just introduced them throughout the story?

Yes. Yes I did.

Next chapter is the final one!